Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1

I have a color laser with tabloid abilities which is great for bigger projects and does a good job. However I'm getting into photo quality prints from my camera shots and 13x19 works well for a frame that needs 11x17 full prints. Ink jet is the obvious way to go and with the newer pigmented inks shelflife has been taken care of.
My question is from a money and consumables standpoint which one makes the best sense. I haven't got a lot of experience with the wide format printers and now they all take 6 or 8 cartridges, the paper is expensive, roll or no roll, etc. Looking to get the most bang for the buck especially from a consumables standpoint as ink doesn't come cheap. Would like to keep it under the 500 range. Thanks for any help with respect to personal experience on these issues.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:37 AM   #2

Hi,

About a year ago, I started to look into getting a pigmented printer that was able to print 13 x 19 and I came upon this review that might prove interesting to you:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/E2200/E2200.HTM

As a result, I bought a used Epson 2200 printer on EBay for 70bucks. The printer, while long in the tooth, prints beautiful photographs- as good as I've ever seen. Using pigmented inks in 7 cartridges, provides less waste.
And, as you pointed out, the pigmented inks are much more durable than the inks I used with an HP8450.

I buy my cartridges directly from Epson since I found them as having the best pricing. If you buy 3 or more cartridges, they will ship next day air at no charge. There are bulk ink dispensing systems available on EBay, but I don't do enough printing to justify the set-up.

I still find Epson 2200 printers being sold on Craig's List and EBay from anywhere between 50 to 250bucks. Not sure how much printing you intend to do but this might be a less expensive option.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:04 AM   #3

I search about it on the net.
I found that kyocera released its banner printer on the name as a TASKalfa 750c series.
It has 10.4 inch touch screen control panel and other features for good quality of banner printing.
mathewdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:07 AM   #4

Thanks Zig for the information. I will check out that printer. I'm not worried about speed but want a good photo quality print. I am a little concerned with those on other forums complaining of clogging. I'll need to do a little more research, thanks again.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Thanks Zig for the information. I will check out that printer. I'm not worried about speed but want a good photo quality print. I am a little concerned with those on other forums complaining of clogging. I'll need to do a little more research, thanks again.

Hi Eric,

I can only speak of my own experience, which is that the printer has never clogged on me. I use it almost every week but sometimes just one print per week whlie there are weeks that I'll do 25 in a day.

One point I would stress is that I use Epson's ink in the normal cartridge that Epson supplies. If my requirements called for a lot of printing, I might look at a bulk ink supply. But, I believe the bulk supplys generate the most clogging & performance issues.

I think I've already mentioned this, but I do buy the ink directly from Epson. Order 3 cartridges and get free overnight Fed Ex shipping. Pricing is also attractive.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote