Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:15 PM   #1

Default so whats next for Canon and Epson?

Hi all.

I was looking at the wide carriage inkjet printers and noticed that a lot of the top contenders have been out for a while now (in particular the Epson 2100/2200).

Does anybody have any idea what the release schedule is for the next round of printers at this level? i.e. when, what will be different etc? Will Epson release a new 2100 that is faster, will canon release a printer that uses archival inks?

I'm after quality not speed, but I'd hate to go out and buy an Epson 2200 only to find that they release a significantly faster verson shortly afterwards.

Martin (its a never ending cycle)
stutchbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:27 PM   #2

if you wait and wait you will save money. you'll save money because you'll never buy waiting for the next best thing. the 2200 is an excellent printer. speed isn't everything, quality is.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:36 PM   #3

I appreciate the whole wait and you will never buy. I went out and bought a Canon G3 to acclimatise myself to digital photography until I can get the digital SLR within my price range that does what I need.

At the moment, my EOS3 will do me just fine (although its so expensive to get slides scanned properly, that a digital SLR would pay for itself after 2 trips...)

My laser printer is almost 10 years old, and I can't see it being replaced any time soon.

I guess my real questions is, whats the product life cycle for Epson? Are they due for a new release anytime soon (so I can get a special deal before the next model comes out)

Martin
stutchbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:29 PM   #4

it all depends on the product. an item like the 2200 is probably 24mos. but then they had issues getting them out in the beginning. the first year they didn't deliver too many. if your printer if 10 yrs old you should think of a new one especially for image printing. there have been dramatic image quality and longevity enhancements. the 2200 is currently the top of the heap in both. but thats just my opinion and looks like it going to stay there due to its ink type (pigments vs dyes) and quality at least for awhile.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote