Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:49 PM   #1

Default epson 4000

now the 4000 comes out after I bought the 2200.

17inch paper, all 8 ink carts installed at once(auto switch blacks), can use the big 110ml and 220ml ink carts from the 7600/9600. 3.5pl ink drops, and about 2x the print speed.
Ok so the one big drawback is the price , I wonder why it is over double the 2200 :lol:

Hope this link works:
Epson 4000
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:17 PM   #2

well at over 2x the price i think i can live with my 2200. i'm not crying
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:19 AM   #3

We had our session with the epson pro rep and found out more about the 4000 they are trying to push for next year.

The 4000 is the replacement for the old 3000.

Some real nice things are
- The head is self aligning.

- The printer has some sort of sensor that can detect clogged jets and the printer is self cleaning/unclogging.

- The printer path can take fatter paper like posterboard.

- There are a whole pile of new papers in 17 inch sheet and 17 inch roll for it.

- 220ml cartridges (about 20x the size of a 2200 cartridge)!

- 8 channel head, all 8 carts installed all the time, printer driver selects which black to use.

- Full paper handeler
- four paper paths
- can use full size 123foot paper rolls.
- Media core compatibility: Handles both 2" and 3" cored media
- Max. roll media diameter: 4" (2" core) or 6" (3" core)
- max print size 17 inches by 100 feet
- paper Weight: 12 lb bond up to 1.5mm cardboard
- paper cutter builtin.

- I think he said the head was 1.5 inches so it covers a wide strip with each pass(2x print speed of older models)

- SWOP certified printers produce accurate reproducable color from printer to printer for use in legal/logo/trademard applicatons where having the correct color pantone is legaly important.

- Ink cure time to stable color is 1-2 hours instead of 120 hours for dye based inks.

- Aparently nice (I did not understand why) the new head with 3.5pl drops is supposed to be much more accurate and it produces equivelant results at 720dpi to the 2200 at 1440dpi.

The not nice:
- The large footprint, the printer is rather huge at 33.4" (W) x 14" (H) x 30" (D)

- and quite heavy at 83.7 pounds.
- The large price tag 2495.00$cdn.

:lol: I don't think I will be getting one for home use any time soon.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:23 AM   #4

WHAT? don't have enough room. i'm going to add another wing just for that one. i'll be at photo+ tomorrow it will probably be there.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:42 AM   #5

:lol: Room is only one small problem.
There is a stand for it and a networking card so it could become a coffee table in the living room. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting something like that for home use past "She who must be obayed" is another story. Especially so soon after I sort of brought home a 120gal fish tank and all the components this month :lol:
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:53 AM   #6

the network card is really not that necessary. i use the print sharing feature in XP. currently 1 laser and 2 inklets on 3 machines being shared.

ah! that means you could become possibly fish food your self :shock:
Old Dec 4, 2003, 9:43 PM   #7

Default Epson 4000 and R800

I need to get one of these or at least pay for it this year as I need the tax write off for my home business. I don't think it's available until January? Anybody got any ideas?

Also, note, there is a cool smaller version of this pigment printer (smaller than the 2200) that is the Epson R800 that was announced and can do 2pl drops in pigment inks (ultra). My plan is to run the R800 with the 4000 for high throughput and similar looking results. The R800 will come out in February according to Epson. The 2200 is maybe in need of a tune up.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2004, 12:55 AM   #8

S4000 never panned out. They didn't release it here in California and my idea to run it with an R800 was also wrong as the inks are ultrachrome but different and the look for job shared prints for a photo album would be off.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote