Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:57 PM   #1

Default r1800 won't print yellow

Hi, I'm new here, but I was wondering if any of you could help me. I have had an r1800 that has been fine and a great printer for over a year now. Unfortunately due to a weird set of circumstances I wasn't able to print for 2 months. Now my printer won't print yellow at all, I charged the cartridges, cleaned heads, installed new cartridges... I've done everything I can think of. Do I need a new head? A new printer? I am hoping I am missing something that might save me needing to buy a new printer.

Thanks!
Laura
LauraGarabedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:37 PM   #2

You may be able to restore it. I have had success with other Epson printers, using Windex original formula (with ammonia - you can also use household ammonia).
With the printer on, press the ink button to move the head to the replacement position, then saturate the foam pads that the printhead sits on when parked, with the Windex. Press ink button again to move head back to park position and don't do anything for several hours. (overnight usually works). Check, and repeat if needed. It may take a couple cleaning cycles afterwards to get all the nozzles going again.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
LauraGarabedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4

I have heard of people having success using a syringe (without needle, of course) to force the Windex through the print head, after removing the affected cartridge. The results may be hit or miss, though, as excess pressure can damage the printhead. I haven't tried it, but if it was a matter of having to pay to replace the printer or printhead, it would probably be worth the try.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:26 PM   #5

When my 1800 quit printing the yellow it was because the head was cracked and I was told by a printer repair guy (one I really trust) not to bother. The R series had a problem with the heads cracking. I purchased a 1400(price constraints) and am really pleased with the results of my prints. When I replace the inks I use very little pressure in snapping the cartridges in place.

Best of Luck.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote