Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 21, 2010, 7:19 AM   #1

Default Epson or Canon?

My i9950 has died. RIP. I can't say I was displeased with it except that it did from time to time throw a wobbly, like all printers I guess. What I am looking for is your experiences with the Epson1400 or above and the Pixma 9000 range so I can make a decision on what to buy next. Over to you. I would add I am a professional motor racing photographer and do sell quite a number of A3+ prints so quality is imperative.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:19 PM   #2

I almost bought a Canon, nothing wrong with Canon, but I went with the Epson R1900. I LOVE the color and B&W. I use a Spyder Express2 to cal my monitor and printer. What I see is what I get.
Just my 2 cents.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameranserai View Post
My i9950 has died. RIP. I can't say I was displeased with it except that it did from time to time throw a wobbly, like all printers I guess. What I am looking for is your experiences with the Epson1400 or above and the Pixma 9000 range so I can make a decision on what to buy next. Over to you. I would add I am a professional motor racing photographer and do sell quite a number of A3+ prints so quality is imperative.
Did you use the i9950 because it was among the most portable of the a3+ printers?

The first thing that comes to mind is why not consider the R series, or better yet, something larger like the 3880. You can get a referb for $1000ish, or a new one for about the same after rebates. It'll take 80ml cartridges. If you prefer something likely to be 1:1 Costco's poster solutions, you have the 3800, slightly older but without vivid magenta tanks. Frankly you're going to be paying for the ink, and the 3800 would represent 25% less cost for the same premium ink.

Unless you absolutely don't want a 17 inch wide printer that'll cost less to operate.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:43 AM   #4

I am quizzical as to why big brother is watching us. Yes, you Steve. I see that my question as to why printer reviews and also a subsequent comment on camera reviews have been removed. it seems to me that you haven't tested a printer in over four years, the last being a Canon on November 26th 2007.

What on earth is going on? This has been for years a reference point for a number of us, but you seem to be no longer testing printers at all. A sad day.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Administrator

cameranserai:

I can't figure out what you're talking about. AFAIK, none of your comments have been removed. Checking your post history, I do see this comment from a couple of weeks ago. Would this be what you're referring to?

New reviews

To see post history, just click on a member name here, then use the choice on the right to Show all Statistics, and you'll go to the section of the page that has links to both threads and posts made by a given member. Here's that section for you:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...rai.html#stats

Yes... It would be nice if we would review more products. We've got a limited staff with a lot of new cameras being introduced. So, we don't review as much as we'd like to.

Hopefully, the number of products being reviewed will increase over time, as we have been discussing increasing the number of reviewers to allow more product reviews (including more reviews of products like lenses and printers). But, there is no conspiracy going on to limit reviews. It's mostly a matter of staffing and time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote