Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:47 AM   #1

Default Canon, Epson or HP for photos AND scrapbooking?

Iím shopping for a wide format printer and have narrowed my choices down to three; the Canon i9100, the HP 7960 and the Epson 2200. From the actual printouts Iíve seen in the stores all of them have marvelous prints, with the HP having the best B&Ws and the Canon having the most vivid colors. User and professional reviews seem to verify my own opinions of these units. Hereís the question I have that will probably be the deciding factor for my purchase;

Does anyone know what the maximum paper thickness that each of these printers can handle?

My fiancť is a scrapbooker and wants to print on a wide variety of paper stocks that run the gamut from 12lb vellum to 92lb cover weight paper. According to the information Iíve been able to find online, all the printers can 'officially' handle 16lb to 24lb paper, but the Photo Gloss paper Iíve actually held at the store seems to be roughly equivalent to 60lb paper, although itís not quite as thick as the 80lb weight paper my fiance uses for scrapbook covers. Basically, Iíd like to know if any of these printers will be able to handle both my photographic printing needs and her scrapbooking printing needs.

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
GeekMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:51 PM   #2

GeekMan, the HP 7960 is not a wide carriage printer it prints up tp A4 size only. I have the Canon i9100 (just bought it) and I find it's a great machine. Sorry that I can't advise on paper thickness though.
bilmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 6:49 AM   #3

Default wide carriage

I think you should look at the HP 9650, a wide carriage version from HP.
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:44 AM   #4

I have the i9100 and my wife is heavily invested in scrapbooking - she has all the toys.

We run vellum (both the thinner type that you buy at the scrapbook stores and the inkjet printable that you can get at staples) and all types of cardstock without a problem.

For that matter, my wife has had me run a 12 x 23.5-inch sheet through it to make her own backgrounds.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:47 PM   #5

dcrawley:
How thick was that paper you printed on? Was it around the thickness of cardboard paper or was it thin, like regular paper? Also, have you or your wife ever printed on asian rice paper? That's the kind of paper that looks hand made, with flower petals and leaves in it.

Thanks guys, your help so far is truly appreciated.
GeekMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:22 AM   #6

My wife is a graphic designer and is pretty sure that standard vellum is about a 6 lb. paper (and so would be the rice papers) which we have run easily. Just when you print on vellum, you need to set the driver to transparency to avoid laying down too much ink.

The heaviest papers weight we have run is 60 to 65 lb. papers without problems- she would not try a 90 weight or greater in a consumer printer; she has a high end Canon color lasier/copier at her office and does not run any higher than 90 lb. even though her printer states it will accept up to 110.

My wifes recommendation is to use those 90+ papers for backgrounds or for mattes. Even with the paper thickness set for thick papers, those heavier papers are almost too rigid to easily be pulled in to the L-shaped paper paths of the Canon an Epson, and certainly for the HP with it's U-shaped path.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:53 PM   #7

You can print straight through on the Epson 2200, via the manual feed slot. :idea:

According to the owners manual you can print on paper that is up to 0.05" / 1.3 mm thick. :|
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote