Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jan 18, 2004, 7:11 PM   #1

Default Wanted quality big print printer

I want to upgrade to a new printer, I presently have an Epson Photo 870 and as long as I use mat paper it works well and Epson only gloss it works well. The only complaint I've had is it uses a lot of ink for head cleaning and if I don't print with it for a week it needs serious cleaning or I'll have lots of lines in my prints. Anyway!
I want to be able to print in the 13''x19'' print range and want a printer that will give me sellable quality to my prints. I have the new D-Rebel so hopefully the camera is covered.
The important thing to me is I dodn't want to be come ink cartridge poor yet want good quality in the prints. Anyone have any advice?
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:57 AM   #2

Until you get that new printer, use the advice I took to heart with my Epson 1270 (same as yours, just wider): Turn it on once a week at the very least even if you do no printing. I've found that twice a week is better.

Ink costs are probably relative. My sense is that long-lasting ink costs more and there's not much way around it.

There's a continuous ink-flow system that, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of. It draws ink from tanks alongside the printer. I don't know how well this works or how good the inks are. Maybe someone else here knows more about it.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:30 PM   #3

Genohc & Barbara

Continuous Ink Flow System can be found at these locations
http://www.inkjetart.com/cis/index.html
http://www.mediastreet.com/

Cost for a CIS system for the 870 is around $250 which is not too bad.
I'm seriously considering one myself for my trusty 870 which produces
excellent prints on most Epson papers in my experience.

Another option that might be worth a look at is the Software from http://www.inksaver.com/ costs $35.
I have tried it (they have a demo version available) and even with the settings set to 35% saving I found most prints to be very acceptable.
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:41 PM   #4

Thank you, Deexley. I've thought about getting the ink system off and on, but I've also thought about replacing the printer with that newer Epson. Is it the 2200? I think that's it. I like the idea of its larger number of inks.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:13 PM   #5

Barbara,
the continous flow ink system from mediastreet is available for the 2200 as well

I've thought about it a few times but just can't decide how good their inks are :?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 6:16 AM   #6

Quote:
I've thought about it a few times but just can't decide how good their inks are
Peter--I have a friend who bought the system, and I can ask his opinion of the ink, particularly now since he bought it for an HP that he no longer uses. (Replaced all of it with the 2200.) Prints he did with those inks have now had enough time to start showing their true worth. (Note to self: write Tony.)
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:56 AM   #7

Default Canon printer opinions

Thanks to all for the advice on CIS systems. Does anyone have an opinion on the canon wide format printers or any other wide format printers.
genohc
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:51 PM   #8

I currently have the Canon i9100 and really like it. It does a beautiful job of 13x19 prints from my 4-megapixel camera (a Canon G3). My wife uses these as backgrounds for the scrapbook pages as well as the 4x6 and 5x7 photos. Like the Epson, the Canon uses 6 individual color tanks; Epson uses two shades of black (black and light black)

The Epson will make prints as long as 44-inches. The Canon is limited to 23-inches. Both make beautiful prints, but I just could not justify the additional $250 for the Epson.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:15 PM   #9

The Canon i9100 is faster (like 3X as fast) and more frugal on ink than the Epsons. It is also easy to refill and there are quality inks available. Both aftermarket ink and Canon ink fade if exposed to light over time. For my own use I feel I can easily just reprint anything that fades on the wall after a year or two, but I wouldnít want to sell photos with any dye based ink.

The Epson 2200 doesnít quite have the resolution of the 9100 but it is almost impossible to tell the difference. It uses pigmented ink which lasts a long time exposed to light compared to dye based ink.

I hadnít realized they didnít fix the panorama thing on the 9100 until I read dcrawleyís post. There is a workaround with the S9000. It will print banners at photo quality in Windows 98, SE and I think ME. Since it will print 13 inch wide banners you can print almost any length panorama you want on premium photo roll paper. It wonít print banners at photo quality in XP so you have to dual boot. Canon says the Win98 capability to print banners at photo quality is a glitch and they donít intend to fix it with firmware for XP. Iím hoping they will both release a new wide format printer with the fantastic i960 heads and allow long panoramas.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote