Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:36 PM   #1

Default New to this site & have Questions on I9100

Hi all! I am new to this site. I have done some research mainly on this site and have purchased a FinePix S5000 and a i9100. I also went to Red Rivers web site and down loaded some of the print files for the i9100 and installed them on my computer. As of now I am only using the software that came with the printer. What editing programs are good for editing and modifing the photos?

Right now, I only have some cheap photo paper to print on. Going to be ordering some from Red River next week. Which Photo paper is the best from Red River as far as looking and feeling like a real photo?

Also if you have any other sugestion on setting up the printer or camera for the best pictue, it would be greatly apperaciated!

I am a novice at taking photos. I have a Decal & Vinyl Lettering Business and do a lot of car shows. We are looking to expand into taking photos at the shows and selling them to there car owners. Again any help in this area would also be apperaciated!

Also do any of you use off brand ink in the I9100 or should I stick with the Cannon ink?

Thank you!

Todd Swain
SwainsDecals.com
Todd Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:10 AM   #2

If you want to use the profiles from Red River they will work only with Canon ink. I use Inkjet Goodies ink, which was recommended highly by several people on the dpreview printers forum. There is usually only one quality aftermarket ink made for a particular printer and Iím guessing my regular MIS source carries the same stuff. In any case it is quite good on my S9000 which takes the same ink cartridges as yours. I did my own profile, which would be different from your printerís requirements. Stick with the Canon ink unless you are going to print a lot and are willing to profile. Someone on the dpreview printer forum might have a profile for Inkjet Goodies ink and Red River Ultra Pro or Polar for the i9100.

I use Ultra Pro because it comes in large sheets and rolls and I want to use the same paper for everything. Your printer will only print 24 inch wide prints, so the choice is easier for you. Polar is the better paper but UltraPro is very good. Both feel like photo paper. Their pricing is crazy. 100 sheets of 8.5 X 11 polar is almost twice the price of UltraPro, but 20 sheets of 13 X 19 is almost the same price.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 2:19 PM   #3

Default i like the

redriver polar satin. very nice. i suggest you get their sampler pack, though, and see what you like best. the cost is worth it.
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:23 PM   #4

Where do you get this "Inkjet Goodies ink" Do you have a web address for them? And a address for this other fourm that you are talking about.

Thanks for the help!

Todd
SwainsDecals.com
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:53 PM   #5

Default i think you are looking for

inkjet goodies at, surprisingly enough, inkjetgoodies.com

the other site referenced is probably dpreview.com
goto forums and find the printers one. very active...a bit more so than here but I check here and there regularly
Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:09 PM   #6

I really hate sending people to dpreview as Iím hoping the group there will switch to a much more useable forum like Steveís. You have to click on each response individually and the site often gets lost in cyberspace between responses. If there are a lot of responses you have to either go back to the original each time before selecting the next or navigate back to the site at the end of the thread since the back control has long since lost track of the forum. Some posters are too lazy to dump the extra trivia and you often have to scroll through pages of previous posts to get to a two word comment. The physical structure of the forum is terrible compared to Steveís, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people who post there.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:37 PM   #7

Ok i ordered some photo paper from red River today. Should get it some time next week. I will let you know how some prints turn out.

What is a good photo editing program to start out with? I do have Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 3.0. Will this work ok? If so at what DPI should I save picture from this program at?

Thanks!
Todd
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:32 PM   #8

Default photo editing

as a relative newbie to the photo editing world, i quickly found there is a ton of stuff to master if you want to crank out great pics. however, that being said, i still get great results (up to 13 x 19) with my i9100 printing most of my good pics (canon s400 4mp camera) using the native canon easy photo print software.

if you start editing pics, try to save them with the most resolution you can, with our interpolating (creating pixels were there weren't any to begin with or something like that). you could literally spend a week reading forum posts about best resolution to save and print at.

download and try qimage. it has steep learning curve, but provides pretty good results. they offer a free 30 day trial and it can be foud here:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

the author seems to be a good guy who you will often find responding to questions about his product in the qimage forum on this site (and others). check it out for yourself.

have fun learning.....
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:43 AM   #9

The S5000 is a 3Mp camera and you are going to have to upsample to get decent 13 X 19 prints. As long as you are going to upsample you might just as well upsample to 300PPI. I have little tricks to get a lower resolution shot to look better printed large, but you will generally not be thrilled at the resolution of your shots at 13 X 19. There is a good point to be made that you tend to view a larger print from a greater distance and it looks fine at that distance.

I agree to not resample for 8 X 10 and you might be happy with 11 X 14 without resample if you donít have to crop anything extra from the image.

I read the Qimage technical data a while back and they list the Lanczos filter as their best quality resample filter. Lanczos comes free with Irfanview. Qimage is a nice program but I would get a decent image editor first. Someone on another thread said that Wal-Mart has Photoshop Elements 2 for $58 Ė infinitely better than Photodeluxe 3. Ebay has several listings for PhotoImpact 7 in the $15 range. They have a newer version out but PhotoImpact 7 is very competent. Elements is a little stunted so people wonít buy it instead of the full Photoshop. I think PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro are a little more competent. But Elements probably has everything you might use and is easy to use.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:07 AM   #10

I agree with slipe. Photoshop 7 is the one. Once you get used to its thinking it is quite easy to use and the help files are excellent. You can do so much with it, it is impossible to detail here except to say that I have produced excellent results from "impossible" shots taken in difficult conditions, compiled most complicated montages and effects, improved and added subtle effects to enhance shots to name but a few. Go for Photoshop. In time you`ll love it.

Good luck

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote