Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:18 AM   #1

Default Canon i9100 Reliability

:?: I am thinking of buying a Canon i9100. The print quality is awesome. However I have been told by Marrutt, the distributors for Lyson Inks that the reliability is suspect and the Epson 2100 (in UK) is a better bet. Any opinions or experience would be gratefully received.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:23 AM   #2

When the S9000 first came out there were some with faulty heads. They were fixed under warrantee. I haven’t read of problems with the i9100. Steve has one and evidently prints a good bit with it. He speaks highly of it. My S9000 has been plugging along fine for a couple of years now.

Could you provide some more information on what brands Lyson ink is sold under – sounds like someone with a Canon should avoid them if it causes reliability problems.

The Epson 2100 is a fine printer. The ink is pigmented and won’t fade as quickly as the dye based Canon ink. It will print to 44 inch widths where the i9100 will print to only 24 inches because Canon doesn’t make panorama paper. But it takes about 4 times as long to produce a print and you have to defeat a chip to refill the things or go with a continuous inking system. The Epson is also considerably pricier in the US.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:27 AM   #3

Thanks Slipe. Nice part of the world. Lyson inks are sold under the Lyson brand in the UK. I don`t know about the USA.
Maybe as they do much more for Epson it was just a sales pitch. Like to hear more opinions.
Thanks again

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:48 PM   #4

I've only had my I9100 for a short time but have run a lot of 4X6, some 5X7's and a few 11X17's through it with not so much a single glitch..... And I would agree with you... the prints are awesome!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:49 PM   #5

I have an i9100 and have been using it since they hit the market July 2003. I debated the Epson 2200/2100 but just could not justify the additional $200 USD.

I do a fair amount of printing (I'm on my 4th full set of inks) and have gone through 80 sheets of 4x6 and 20 sheets of 8.5x11 Photo Paper Pro, 300 sheets of Photo Paper Plus glossy, and 5 sheets of Photo Paper Pro 13x19 and have not had a glitch. Somewhere I read that Canon has been reformulating its paper and does considerably better than in the past. The newer papers have a watermark on the back.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:06 AM   #6

Well I just got my i9100 and so far so good. I have not yet done what I woudl call HQ printing with it as I use it for doing detailed maps of areas I am looking to hike and travel in.

I have been impressed with its print speeds, as this is my 3rd Canon printer ( I have had 4200, 6000 and now the i9100 )

The others servered me well with only minor problems with paper handling.

I'll be tinkering with doing some Photos over the weekend, plus I need to do some Photochopping for some team guys so I'll be a little more motivated to tinkers.

Only glitch so far is that Auto Power on and off dont seem to take :/

Again something Ill tinker with sunday.

-Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote