Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Canon 9100 vs. 960

I bought a Digital Rebel last year, and have an L-series 70-200 lens which easily resolves to the pixel limit of the camera. I am now looking for a printer. I love the idea of being able to make (and sell) big prints, but will a 13x19 print from the Canon i9100 be a stretch for the 6mp resolution of the Rebel? If there will be problems with pixelation or sharpness, why waste the money on printer features my camera cannot support?

The Canon rep. at my local Fry's showed me both size prints today. The 8x10 was definitely from a Rebel (his brother took it), and it was gorgeous!!! The 13x19 was equally gorgeous, but he did not know what camera made it. Who has experience with large prints from 6mp?
leebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

I have made prints 13x19-inch prints from my G3 (4-megapixel). I cannot crop too much, though. I have downloaded one on the sample pics for the Digital Rebel and made a 13x19 print of that. I can tell you without hesitation that the i9100 or i9900 (the i9100 replacement that is coming available in May) will have no trouble with an image from the Digital Rebel. You will be able to crop more than I can, but, as with anything, you can still crop out too much.

If you can wait and have the budget, I would wait for the i9900. I know that it will be $499 and that the i9100 was just dropped to $399, but the i9900 includes PictBridge and Canon's Direct Print capabilities (like the i860, i960, etc.) and adds 2 new inks. The i9900 will use the same inks as the i9100 (BCI-6Y yellow, BCI-6C cyan, BCI-6PC photo cyan, BCI-6M magenta, BCI-6PM photo magenta, and BCI-6B black), but will also include BCI-6R red and BCI-6G green. The inclusion of a true red will give you better results and blends in the orange and green hues since it will have to blend inks less.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks! So you saw no sharpness or pixilation problems with that 13x19 from the Rebel? Do you use only Canon paper, or have you found a chaper alternative?

The Canon Rep. said the same thing about waiting for the 9900.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:17 AM   #4

From a standard image from the Digital Rebel and using the default trimming (which is minimal on a 13x19 and none on a 4x6) from within EasyPhoto Print, I saw no flaws in those regards. I will tell you this: I have looked at an image from my G3 on my calibrated monitor at 100% size and though it was a little fuzzy but not too bad (I was in a hurry and did not look that close) but when i made a print of it, it was horrid because it pointed out actually how fuzzy it really was.

I pretty much only use Canon papers. I have tried Kodak's new re-engineered Ultima Photo Paper and like it also. I have had good luck with the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy (120-sheet pack for about $24 at CompUSA) and have not had a problem with the ink ghosting onto the page protectors in my wife's scrapbooks. Granted, I do let them sit out ideally overnight on my dining room table. I have found that it is actually a few cents cheaper to take my images to Walgreens if I have 50 or more prints to make. If you make 50 or more prints, they are 20 cents a 4x6 print; 29 cents for 49 or less prints.

I would like to get the i9900, but I am going to wait until either Canon really starts to rival the Epson 2200 in its archival ratings and/or art papers, or Epson can get its next version of the 2200 to print as fast as the Canon does (a borderless 13x19 in about 5 minutes). That and the fact I just put down a large deposit on a Nikon D70 D-SLR (this will make 6 digital cameras I have bought in 4 years; 4 were mine, 1 for my wife and 1 for my 5-year-old) I would have bought the Epson, but on my old Epson I found that you have to tweak this or that each time you make a print and I just could not make myself spend the extra $200; the Canon I just set it and go. I had the S800 before this and it was an absolute workhorse.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 6:55 AM   #5

The local place, Henry's, has the i9900 in stock now.
$699.99 CDN.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:09 AM   #6

I second Damon... I have the I9100 and my co-workers are blown away by my 13 X 19's.. I have the DRebel and some of my prints are from cropped pictures that work out to be about 4 MP and they still look great!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:47 AM   #7

Default Thanks, guys!

My checkbook was hoping you'd say that 13x19 required more mp's, and that I would have to settle for an i960 and it's 8x10's. Sorry checkbook! At least with the wide-carriage I'll be ready for the giga-pixel future!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:53 AM   #8

Let us now have a moment of silence for the soon to be empty checkbook of leebor. Welcome to poverty with the rest of us; We now work for ink, paper, and lenses! Food and rent/mortgage bills are mearly optional things.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrawley
Let us now have a moment of silence for the soon to be empty checkbook of leebor. Welcome to poverty with the rest of us; We now work for ink, paper, and lenses! Food and rent/mortgage bills are mearly optional things.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AAAAAAAAAMMMMEEENNN!!!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote