Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:08 PM   #1
NHL

Default DesignJet 130nr

Any input on this printer? http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...dfs/352387.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:41 PM   #2

I'm looking into the HP130 also. It won some kind of award as the best large format photo printer. It's much less expensive than the Epson 7600. Don't know much else about it. Anyone have this printer??????
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:46 PM   #3

I own one of these. In fact it is the 120, a bit older one but quite the same.
It's very fast, so stay away from Epson technology if you don't want to wait for A1 photo prints hours instead of minutes. It can also print on both sides (duo system integrated) but needs back output space.
Quality is okay. Don't expect anybody to watch A1 results with lenses for details. However, they could with a Designjet 120. Results are on par with Canon 9100 or Epson 1290, 4/5 picoliters 6 cartridge photot printers.
I can't make borderless photos with the 120 (or did i miss something in the driver ?).
There are 3/4 ways to feed it with paper : manual front for large size (back for thick paper), A3+ to very small automatic feed charger, large carriage (62.5 cm) roll paper with cutter.
The 6 ink cartriges are quite big, separate for each color and each has its own replaceable head.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4

Hey NHL thats one of the printers I am debating on too! Its a toss up right now I am looking at the Kodak 1400 or the HP DesignJet 130 but I am unsure what one to get to my problem is they each cater to a demand I will need. I have a chance at a job at a major hotel here to be the photographer for events and I need to be able to print my own pictures, but the cost to use a lab is far cheaper than making my own prints and that has many time saving advantages. So If I go without the labs helps I will go the Kodak 1400 for waterproof prints in common sizes, but if I make the photo lab do the volume work I will buy the HP 130 and use it for my special projects.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 7:04 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hey NHL,

the may issue of photography monthly has an article on this one.. and basically they say its the best of whats currently available.. and for the most part this magazine is hard to please.. and with permanence of 83 years.. it makes long lasting gorgeous prints as well.. sorry, no personal experience on this one though, its a bit (ok maybe more than a bit) out of my budget.. but i do have a new smaller format HP that i am more than happy with..

regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

After some months of big use, this is an awesome printer (i mean the 120) and great price without competition. LOL !
I think this is a strategic product for HP. It sits there to stop any competition from Epson and Canon. this is granting HP lead for large carriage since competition will never make the money with such a product as Designjet 130 at the low end and starting point to built a product line.
The difference between 120 and 130 is not big. They have quite the same speed but 130 has newer color inks which are documented to last longer and has A2+ paper sheets automatic feeder instead of A3+, however roll and manual feeding being 62.5 cm large aka A1+ paper size.
What is great with this printer and this is very common on HP products is that it prints photo quality on standard paper, something Epson and Canon are unable to achieve. This is very interesting, especially on A1+ paper size.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:06 PM   #7

yeah i guess with all that horsepower the HP has its a shame its really not even on the radar for gallery and fine art printing that epson seems to have dominated. but then i can print the bill in color using it on plain paper.:-)
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:13 PM   #8

I thought that the printheads are mounted in the cartridges of the HP designjet 120?

If they are seperate like the Epsons then a bulk feed system is a snap?
tomcat862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:44 PM   #9

I just bought a new Hp Designjet 120for $486.....yes factory new with warrenty

Do you know about those nice auto retest catridges that let you run a CIS feed?

I have contacted the china source foe these kits,,,,I have a ISO 90001 USA source for HP inks so this is no big deal. About $24 per liter

I have used this inksource fore over 3 years fore my Epsonsand they make super good inks,,not the crap from you know where ..
tomcat862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:56 PM   #10

This HP 130 was a best printer, the CLOSED LOOP COLOR CALIBRATION was the key point, you never got this function in the other brand.

Anthonius
ANTHONIUS is offline   Reply With Quote