Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 8, 2004, 1:08 AM   #1
Administrator

I have just posted the Canon i9900 printer review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...non_i9900.html

All I can say is WOW! what a printer!!!!!!!

I personally own and use the i9100 and didn't think that anything could possibly top this printer for quality or speed -- I was wrong. The i9900 is simply awesome.

-Steve

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2004, 5:09 AM   #2

now the question is, what about fading?

Also, for printer reviews, I would like to see how the printer handles different tones, B&W, Sepia, purple, blue, yellow and so on. Would it be possible in the future to add this to reviews. I have found that sepia tones are quite difficult for printers, not to mention B&W. So a test where stripes that go from L:100 to L:0 (lab) with different tones would be great.

Otherwise a great review! I want this printer . IF fading is not a problem.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3

So are you going to be buying this, Steve?
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4

I just hooked my new i9900 up this morning and ran off some test prints. All I can say is unbelieveable.

I haven't used a photo printer before, just a cheap Lexmark Z11, so I don't have much of a point of reference except for film prints from a local processor and the i9900 exceeds chemical/paper prints with everything I tried.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 1:23 PM   #5

You swine! I *cannot* afford to upgrade my i9100... :-)
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 1:27 PM   #6

lol.....i *cannot* afford a i9100....so don't complain
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 2:37 PM   #7

I didn't see anything in the review about panorama capability. I doubt it has it.

The reason I didn't upgrade from my S9000 to the 9100 was because you can't print anything wider than 24 inches on the 9100. You have to dual boot to Win98 with the S9000 to get it to print large panoramas, but it is worth the hassle to me. It was evidently a glitch in Win98 which they had not intended.

According to a Canon rep someone talked to at a computer exposition, Canon had no intention of allowing any of their photo printers to print wider than 24 inches unless Canon releases panorama photo paper. He said it was a simple firmware update but they didn't intend inducing people to switch from Canon paper.

That is a valid concern on their part. I almost exclusively use Red River paper because I can get it in 13 inch panorama stock. I usually print a test 8.5 X 11 before a full panorama and want all of the paper the same.

I guess I could get a 9900 and use the 9000 just for panos, but those are large printers and I would have a space problem in my little computer room. I really wish Canon would release some panorama paper so they could update the firmware to do panoramas. A 13 inch panorama looks great on the wall.

All dye based ink will fade BTW if displayed where indirect sunlight illuminates it. You can get UV sprays and UV glass, but I don't know how well they work. After only a few months you can see a little difference between the part behind the frame and the exposed print. The hard part is the masking and framing. Unless you glue the print to board it is very easy to just print another when a print fades and put it in the frame. If I were selling prints I would use the Epson pigmented ink, but the Canon ink has been fine for my purposes. It doesn't fade or color shift at all in storage.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 5:27 PM   #8
Administrator

LCohen wrote:
Quote:
now the question is, what about fading?

Also, for printer reviews, I would like to see how the printer handles different tones, B&W, Sepia, purple, blue, yellow and so on. Would it be possible in the future to add this to reviews. I have found that sepia tones are quite difficult for printers, not to mention B&W. So a test where stripes that go from L:100 to L:0 (lab) with different tones would be great.

Otherwise a great review! I want this printer . IF fading is not a problem.

It uses the same formulation 6-color inks (plus newred and green) as the i9100 and s9000 printers and I have 13x19" prints from both of these printers in my living room with lots of daily exposure to Florida light from my open patio area. So far they are showing no signs of any fading, some have been there for over two years now. They are not behind UV glass, they are mounted on foamcore only.

The B&W (on matte paper) looks very good, printed it using the "print grayscale" option on the first page of the driver. As for the sepia - it looks OK but I don't really know what a "good" sepia print should look like -- does anyone? I might have taken one picture in the last ten years that would be a candidate for sepia effect...

The i9900 has a super-wide color gamut thanks to the two new inkcolors so I imagine it will print most any color you can throw at it -- orange is no longer a problem I can tell you that!

-Steve

Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:02 PM   #9

Steve is there any third party rip drivers for this printer(i9900) I just bought it and compared it to the Epson 2200 prints I did and the Epson looks better???
cosize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:25 PM   #10
Administrator

cosize wrote:
Quote:
Steve is there any third party rip drivers for this printer(i9900) I just bought it and compared it to the Epson 2200 prints I did and the Epson looks better???
Sorry, I have no idea, you'd have to contact Canon Support for that answer.