Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 13, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1

Will be purchasing one of the two printers. All reviews on the Canon seem very positive. My only concern is the Canon seems to limit paper to glossy. While I will be printing on glossy, I would still like to use other papers including canvas. I understand the Epson prints well on all paper except glossy.

Also, the Epson 2200 has been out for two years. I can only assume Epson will be updating that printer soon. Anyone hear anything???

Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 7:44 PM   #2

The Canon prints well on other papers. The Canon paper is limited but there is plenty of other paper that works fine. I have an S9000 that uses the same ink and it prints well on anything I've used. I haven't tried canvas though.

The pigmented ink on the 2200 is more fade resistant. The 2200 will print 40 inch width where the 9900 is limited to 24 inches (I think). The Canon gives better looking prints and is many times as fast.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 7:45 PM   #3

I myself are waiting for epsons new version of 2200 since i doubt that the canon will fulfil my demands on longevity. The R800 seemed to be a great printer, lets just hope that an epson 2400 will hit the shelves soon. With added Red, green and blue ink. 1 picoliter drop size market leading resolution, three shades of black ink, glossy "ink" and b&w calibration.

Just my wet dreams
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:43 PM   #4

What is everybody┬┤s concern with longevity? Surely 25 years is enough? Does ANYONE still have photos on their wall from Circa 1975? I dont! After a few years they are put away, away from sunlight, and in this day and age, they will be put away with a hard copy, so if, IF in 30 years, you want it back out on your wall....print a new copy with PERFECT colours...what IS the big deal????? All this "Chat" about longevity is purely marketing tat from the manufacturers, I work in a marketing department as the photographer....Buy a printer, print with it and be happy.

Anyway, in 5-10 years, we will all be hanging perfect "plasma" prints on our wall that run off electricity or solar energy, and give the most beautiful glowing, saturated images...think about it, technology is speeding rapidly, and in a few years no-one will give a hoot about print longevity!! IMHO!!!:?
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 3:44 PM   #5

The replacement for the Epson 2200 has already been released in Japan, but won't be released in the US and Europe for a while. Some say next spring. If you can read Japanese here is a link.

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...0/pxg50001.htm

If you can't read Japanese then you can still look at the pictures.

BHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:27 PM   #6

the epson 2200 is old, a great printer but old

stick with the i9900 i have been very impressed, no complaints
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:09 PM   #7

I use Canon printers, andthe 9900 is one of them. I have no complaints at all. This is an incredible printer. I use Epson Premium Luster Paper on it and the results are perfect! Instantly dry, great colors, and it cranks out a 13x19 inunder 5minutes.

Mike
Dervical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 7:52 AM   #8

I have a Canon printer myself and I like the quality of the prints, but after 1 and a half years and around 3000 pages (mostly text and plain paper) I can say that it is starting to wear out. Or perhaps it would be better to say that the print head is starting to wear out. I see much more banding on my current prints than I did when I first started. Otherwise it is a fantastic printer.

I owned an old "bubble jet" before and I had to replace the print head 3 times in 3 years. This is not as bad, but I hear heads are hard to find and expensive. I think you should factor that in when you buy the printer. Or, consider buying a general purpose printer to print text and stuff and keep the i9900 for just photos. I don't have room for both though.
BHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:14 AM   #9

I have used the 2100 (Europe) for 6 months now, and bought the Canon i9950 2 weeks ago. The biggest difference is speed. The Canon is very rapid! It also works very well with high quality Epson papers. A3 prints from both are amazing and I think very similar. The speed is why I bought the Canon. As for paper, why spend good money on a printer and put poor quality paper through it? Most quality paper whether glossy or Satin will work well. The only gripe with the Canon is that Black and White printing does not compare to the Epson!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:11 PM   #10

BHarp wrote:
Quote:
The replacement for the Epson 2200 has already been released in Japan, but won't be released in the US and Europe for a while. Some say next spring. If you can read Japanese here is a link.

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...0/pxg50001.htm

If you can't read Japanese then you can still look at the pictures.

For your viewing pleasure click for full screen reading.It basically looks like a wide body version of the R800.....

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote