Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 15, 2004, 2:49 PM   #1

:-)Hi all

I`ve had my new Canon i9950 ( here in the UK, i9900 in the USA ) for just over 4 weeks now. Here are some first impressions.

I took some A3 prints (from my Sony 717) printed on Jessops Glossy and Jessops Matt, together with some A4 on Canon Pro Glossy, some 4x6 printed on Epson Glossy and 2 A4 printed on the new Kodak Ultima 100year fade resistant ( if you can believe it ) to my digital imaging club. I really, really upset the 9000, 9100 and the Epson 2100 experts. They all agreed ( grudgingly ) that my prints knocked socks off theirs both in tonal gradation and vividness.

The printer has no problem with any of these papers, although setting up a profile in the printer software ( a doddle ) is a good idea. After going mad with a lot of prints, not sure how many, my light magenta tank is warning me it is low, my light cyan is about 1/3 full, the yellow 3/4 full and there are no indication yet of any other tank, including black, being anything but full. I think it is going to be an economical printer to use.

I do all my manipulation in Photoshop, I have the printer set to auto on and auto off after 5 minutes not used, recommended by Canon Tech after a phone call. So all I do is put the paper in, select the settings I want, click print and off it goes. It is extemely quiet except when first charging up. It prints a high quality A3 using a standard USB port in about 2 and a bit minutes. On all the tested papers the ink is virtually dry out of the printer. In the UK we have CD Label direct to CD printing. This works flawlessly and is so so simple to set up and use. Steve`s review will give you all the details of setting up and on screen settings. They are easy as is the setting up out of the box, took me less than 1/2 hour and the instructions were very clear. The head alignment that has to be done when first installing the head is simple. The printer looks impressive on my desk.

All I can say is that you won`t get a better machine in this class than the i9950. The fading problem, well use genuine inks, a quality branded paper and exhibit behind glass if the print is on permenant display. A lot of short term fading is "gas fading" - the effect of Ozone and pollutants in the atmophere not the UV rays (but keepdisplay prints out of direct sunlight. )

All my tested papers were superb quality except the Kodak. The Kodak although marketed as Ultra Glossy is more like half way between Jessops Glossy and Jessops Satin. But if it lasts 100 years - well!

Hope this helps any potential buyers.

I have a developing website with EMail address if anyone needs any more info. The site address is www.Fotomanweb.co.uk
Regards to eveyone

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 11:46 PM   #2

To add to your experience, I've had my i9900 for two weeks, used intensively - at least by my non-commercial standards. I've made about 50 -8 1/2 x 11 borderless prints of various beachy landscapes and rapidly exhausted PhotoMagenta and PhotoCyan, Yellow half gone. It was the weekend so I had to stop. Instructions say that printer may be damaged if used with an empty ink cartridge. I foundtwo sources of genuine Canon inks for this printer - Canon themselves, and B&H. Undoubtedly there are others (Costco sells 3 inks - Yellow, and two others like Red and Green - ones I didn't need - in a package; I don't know the cost). B&H's website lists only Red and Green, but by phone they'll tell you they have them all. Canon charges 10.95 plusshipping. B&H charges 11.95 plus shipping. Shipping costs depend on how fast you want it, distance, etc. I didn't compare their shipping costs.

The results - this was not a critical task, simply recording the status of a particular beachy bluff facing the ocean from various views. The various options offered were simple to use. The prints appeared silently and impressively rapidly. They were dry to the touch - using inexpensive Epson Glossy Photo Paper. More photo-critical work in the next couple of weeks.

...............BobT
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3

My local CompUSA seems to have all of the colors.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 8:26 AM   #4

Graham,
Just got my i9900. Excellent printer. I have tried several papers, including Canon PPP (which prints on the warm side). The best paper I have found for true colors is the new Kodak Ultima. If I set it to PPP it gets a tad bit grainy. If I use Super Glossy settings, it seems smoother. I print through Qimage Pro and use Adobe1998 icm or sRGB. Which settings do you use and how would you compare it to Canon paper?
Rocco
ccpcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5

Hi ccdman

I use the papers i`ve listed but have to try others. I`m a little color blind so my perception is not as good as some. I get my wife to assist me in profiling. I use a Diamondtron monitor so set the adobe gamut to trintron as advised and then tweak a little with the Super Bright setting on the monitor switched on. I find there is little difference in the color on the prints. There may be a little more punchiness, The Canon Pro gloss is a tiny bit more punchy than the Epson and the glossiness varies. The Kodak is poor.

I think that once you have calibrated and got an acceptabletest print from the printer, then you shouldn`t have to worry. Too many people try to compare color prints side by side and then argue which is best. They forget the ambient lighting they are viewing under and if they only saw one print they wouldn`t worry. My analogy is the wedding photo.The moment the bride`s mother sees her first picture does she say"how lovely" or "Oh I do do look old" etc. or does she rush off toher wardrobe to compare the color of her dress on the print to that of the dress in the wardrobe to check for an exact match?I rest mycase.

Nice to hear from you

Regards

Graham
Old May 24, 2004, 2:16 PM   #6

Graham,

Try the new Kodak Ultima with "Colorlast" Technolgy. The old paper was terrible--could not hold the ink. The new paper is excellent! Make sure you try the "Colorlast" version.

Rocco
ccpcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 3:28 PM   #7

Hi ccpcman

I`ve got the Kodak Ultima colorlast. It`s fine as regards color and fixing but to call it Ultra Gloss - No way. It`s almost half way to matt. Unless the USA version is better than the UK

Cheers

Graham
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:40 PM   #8

GRAHAM

I was wondering (if you don't mind me asking) how much the i9950 costs in Europe?

I have heard that these things cost almost twice as much as those in the US. I actually was trying to find UK retailers which sold these units overseas and found that their prices really are quite exorbitant when compared to U.S. retailers.My search for a i9950 stems for the lack of CD printing support in the US i9900 model versus the i9950. This is something that really bothered me since I have been holding off buying a new inkjet printer for about half a year thinking the next generation models would have had this option available. But alas, though I love the i9900..no CD printing.

But paying for almost TWICE the price in the US, I would rather by a Canon i9900 and an Epson R800 for CD printing.

So please, let me know what the price is (actual) andhopefullly maybeI was just not finding good deals in the UK online.

aroundfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:42 PM   #9

:homey::homey:Hi Aroundfam

You`re right. We get ripped off in the UK. The i9950 is £549 GBP. I got mine discounted to £475 GBP.

I think shipping costs would be expensive.

If you go to my website http://www.Fotomanweb.co.uk and EMail me your EMail I might be able to help.

Cheers

Graham
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:44 AM   #10

Hi, I just bought the canon i9900 printer and i've been printing out test pictures from my dig. camera and comparing it to my old printer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my HP 2210 all in one prints out a crisper, sharper, image than the canon.What could i be doing wrong? I hear so much praise about the canon and I wasso excited to start printing. Now that I'm printing, I'mgetting disappointed. Any suggestions? I'm a beginner. Thanks.
meibaline is offline   Reply With Quote