Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:57 AM   #11

Forgot to mention that the postit note extends about 5 cm beyond the photopaper.
bigart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:28 PM   #12

Also try here for cartridges:-

http://www.inkclub.com/index.asp?Ctr...6&LangNo=1

I have to admit that despite calibrating the digital monitor there are some photos which still get defeated and have to be printed several times to get right, and it seems always those with a preponderance of blue, like in shirt not sky. Looks great on the screen but terrible on the print! Trial and error I guess.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:26 AM   #13

Just got my printer back from Canon. They said the problems are fixed. Nope. Still banding and wheel marks!
However, I've noticed a few things.
1) Using photoshop CS produces more banding. The Canon Easy Photo Print doesn't produce the banding. Is the banding a software or hardware issue??
2) Don't use the "Top Quality Photo" setting. Instead use the manual detail adjustment and set it to the finest detail.

No solution for the wheel marks except don't use Canon Glossy Photo 190g/m2
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:04 PM   #14

Well, I guess I'll wake this thread up again. I've also noticed this banding and it ruins an otherwise wonderful print on my i9900. While I haven't yet tried the note-it solution to fool the end-of-paper sensor, I did notice that the Maintenance tab of the printer properties dialog for the printer has a Custom Settings button. In the custom settings you can check an option for "Prevent paper abrasion". Does this help to prevent the banding at the end of the paper? I don't know but will probably test it out in the next day or so...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:14 PM   #15

Paper abrasion setting should normally set to default. If you change it, it will print on the paper with a little more distance. Use this if you use thick paper. The banding problem (on the printed side) is reduced with the post it note (have a look at the us canon service site)

Good luck
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:31 PM   #16

Thanks, bigart - I will do as you say...
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:07 PM   #17

And tell us what your results are.....
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:35 AM   #18

Sorry, bigart, I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. For some reason, it only happens on certain paper sizes and at the moment the paper sizes I'm using I'm not seeing the problem. FYI, I seem to get the problem on 11x14 and 13x19 paper.

Next time I use those sizes I will try the mentioned solution and report back...
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:49 PM   #19

Bigart, I do indeed now have some results. After I printed out an 11x17 that exhibited horrible dark streaking at the rear left side of the paper (when looking at the paper feeding through the printer from the front of the printer), I tried your solution of a postit note attached to that corner. The postit I used stuck out behind the page about 5 inches but only took up about 3 inches of width starting at the left border of the paper.

The result? Streaking greatly reduced but not eliminated. To be honest I cannot understand how defeating the end of paper sensor makes any difference at all. At end of paper detection, how does the printer firmware change the behavior of printing?

To me it seems that what is happening is that while the rear edge of the paper is still against the rear paper holder, a downward pressure is maintained on the portion of the paper which is currently feeding past the print head. Once the rear edge of the paper no longer is resting on the rear paper holder (within about an inch of the print head?) there no longer is any downward force on the paper but the paper is instead able to float. The result is that the print head contacts the paper abnormally, especially on the return of the print head from the leftside to the rightside, and a smearing of ink results. I can actually hear the print head scraping against the paper during the last half inch of the paper's travel through the feed mechanism.

To me, this seems very bad. Basically, I cannot come out with a good print. Your solution, even if it were to work, is very inconvenient, especially if you would like to load more than 1 sheet in the rear paper holder. I could send the printer back for servicing but I fortunately have one additional option. Since I bought my printer from Costco I can always just return it for a refund or exchange. I believe I will do the latter. Then, if a second i9900 exhibits the same problem over time it will be to the land of Epson that I will go...
Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:43 AM   #20

You have to put a postit note on the back of the paper at the RIGHT side (not the left). The postit note will be printed during printing when the end of the paper is feeded through the printer. A few mm will be printed on the postit note.
If you do not use this, the printer will change the printing speed (and direction) during printing of the last inch. I use always borderless printing.
You are right: the last few mm are not correctly printable due to faulty design by Canon. Paper is not loaded under the printhead with a constant tension. This is btw also difficult to archieve.

Canon tells you to curve the paper before loading it into the printer. I'm not too happy with this solution. The reason is that internal tension of curved paper aligns better. It is not working that good and i had more that 50% of my prints thrown away using this Canon 'trick'. Since i use the postit note, i never had any problem again.

Always use only 1 sheet of paper and not a whole pack! It is not designed to handle more than 1 sheet.

If you remain to have problems, swap the printer for a new one.

Oh,

You should also check this out:

http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

Good luck