Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:07 AM   #1

Dear Reader,

I just bought a Canon i9950 printer. It's my first photoprinter. The only enhancement over the i9900 is that there is an option to print directly onto cd's. I just want to share with the world some of my experiences. My whiteroom consists of a Winhose computer running Phaseone capture software, Photoshop CS and the newly installed Cannon printer driver.

Printing color mismatch i9950:

When I print a photograph from PS CS there is an option to preview the image before printing. The previewimage is almost a perfect match compared to the print I get.

But, the colors are a bit shifted compared to the image inside PS (the preview imagenext to the same PS image). I do not understand this. I've changed many options (inside the canon software and PS). As always, the print is the same as show in the preview image, but I cannot get the preview image to look exactly as the image in PS.

Is there someone who canhelp me out. Please do not hesitate to ask me additional questions. I do not know what settings cq. comfigurations are important or not.

Paper:

I've been experimenting with paper for this printer.

Canon PR-101: Very good

Canon PP-101: Alsmost as good as PR-101

HP premium photo paper: Bad: Dot grains are very visible

Olmec Optimum 260gsm satin: Very good: quality between PR101 and PP101

Olmec 260gsm gloss: Very good: quality between PR101 and PP101

The Olmec paper cost about euro 0.46/A4 (PR101 euro 1.07/A4).Or euro 1.15 for an A3.

You can get this paper from
http://www.ici-imagedata.com or from http://www.koopdigitaal.nl (cheaper than from the manufacturer's website).

Banding:

I've hada fewtimes thin dark stripes visible in my prints. They have a separation width of around 7.5 mm. (sometimesthey dissapears after a while or by cleaning the nozzles).
Is this a common problem?Howcan this be prevented?

Estimated price of usage (after around 15 A4 prints, both BCI6-PM and PC showed 2/3rd ink left)

Ink consumption: Euro 1 per a4 or euro 2 per a3 (Using Canon ink. each euro 10 per cartridge). But if one has to declog the nozzles too often, these prices do got up!

Does someone knows where I can get the ink cheaper? Is 3rd party ink ok to use and are the colors ok?

In other words, it is pretty expensive to use (I cannot compare it to other printers).

I hope to get some response from you!

Nick

bigart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:14 PM   #2

Printing color mismatch i9950:

When I print a photograph from PS CS there is an option to preview the image before printing. The previewimage is almost a perfect match compared to the print I get.

But, the colors are a bit shifted compared to the image inside PS (the preview imagenext to the same PS image). I do not understand this. I've changed many options (inside the canon software and PS). As always, the print is the same as show in the preview image, but I cannot get the preview image to look exactly as the image in PS.

*** I had the same problem as you, it looks better after I calibrated my monitor, but still not a perfect match between the printer review image and the PS image.
sonnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:43 PM   #3

:homey: Hi

You do need to calibrate your monitor. Remember that monitor pictures are transmitted light but prints are reflected light and the colour is affecred by the ambient light so you`ll never get it spot on.

I wouldn`t use 3rd party inks. If you are in the UK or Europe you can get original Canon cartridges at very reasonable prices from www.pricestorm.com and they are post free.

Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:34 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses. Now I've recalibrated my monitor and inserted an ICC profile into the win xp printer driver. Now I can print in resonable colors but the print preview colors are way off.

An update on the Olmec paper: After two weeks in the sun (half a day) they begin to fade. More pronounced on the glossy paper than on the satin ones. The ink is not yet fading on HP premium photo paper (but print quality is not good). Canon ink was used.

The ink you mentioned at pricestorm cost at that website 6.79 quid. This price is not reasonable, only regular. The price for the ink is anyway too high. Canon should reduce it at least 70%.

Does someone know if there isbetter paper for canon ink prints?

Nick
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:15 PM   #5

Try the following £5.85
http://www.inkraider.co.uk/bargains/canon_bc_60.asp
IanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it shows only the ink. They are also outrageous expensive.

Now I order my ink from a Belgium compan called Qjet. BCI6 ink. It cost euro 25 for approx. a pint (260ml). This is reasonable. They don'y have the green and red ink yet. I've printed with these inks around 50 A4 prints and the prints looks good.

Update about fading:

After 1.3 months all my test prints are faded (were lying behind a double glass window and got direct sunlight for about half a day. It doesn't matter what kind of ink I use. Both Canon and Qjet ink were used in this test. They fade approximately in the same way. I've used Olmec satin paper.

Update about banding:

It is caused by the end of the paper. The printer is doing something else while printing. Solution: Stick a post-it note on the backside of the to be printer paper (top-right backside). The end-of-paper sensor is then fooled. No more banding or printing errors observed. This is a know problem with these range of printer types. There is a note about this on the US Canon web kowledge site. Not in the EU site!

Does somebody have useful info about how I can calibrate my printer (no links to ads pls).

Many thanks

Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:07 AM   #7

Yes! I've just noticed the banding too! Could you give some more details or provide a picture of your post-it-note "modification? Thanks
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:26 AM   #8

So with the post-it note, does it extend beyond the photopaper?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:51 AM   #9

I try to describe it in a bit more detail.

-stick postit note on backside on the right top side of the white paper.

- the paper will be sucked into the printer. The postit note will be sucked in at the last moment preventing a sensor to give an end of paper message.

- only a a few mm will be printed on this note when printing borderless.

Just try it....
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:51 AM   #10

Yep. Gave it a try. Some of the banding now ends up on the post it note. However, some banding still exists on the print. I think I've got a dud machine (see my other post about too much to expect from my i9950 - keep getting wheel marks). I've decided I'm going to return it.