Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:29 PM   #1

Hi, I have a brand new ESP 4000 and noticed that black and white prints are not neutral as it promises to be at least in Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper. I need to use a cooling filter in PS to get a better, but not perfect, result.

The yellow color cast can be noticed in the soft proof and only with Premium Luster paper ICC. It does not happens with Enhanced matte paper ICC.

I went to a Epson reseller and they were very nice accepting my suggestion of a test. They printed a B&W photo and a colour photo in both ESP 9600 and 4000 on Premium Luster paper. And for everybody's surprise the colour caston black and white printed by ESP 4000 was prettyunnacceptable and the colour photo was much warmer than the 9600.

I didn't haveopportunity for more tests but it looks like ESP 4000 has a very big problem with Premium Luster ICC and nobody noticed. Does anyone heard about it or have any suggestion to solve it?
Chris Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:37 AM   #2

I don't have the Epson 4000, but reviews show that the print driver has a black ink only mode. If you use that with the highest dots per inch, does that give you acceptable results? I sometimes do that with my old Espon 1270. Even with relatively low dpi and no grey ink, the results are fine for my purposes. You should do much better with the 4000.

Ken
kenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:23 PM   #3

Hi Kenww, I didn't try it yet because all reviews of ESP 4000, 7600 and 9600 says that the black and white prints are almost 100% neutral (I guess nobody tests the 4000 with Epson Premium Luster paper)and even the colour prints has a yellow tone too.

The manual insists in the use of Color/B&W Photo setting because black ink only is just for text. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, but ESP 9600B&W prints are so perfect and ESP 4000 is so expensive that I believe Epson will fix it as soon as more people starts to complain.... or maybe someone will create a good ICC profile for Premium Luster/Epson 4000.
Chris Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:03 AM   #4

I've noticed problems with the premium luster paper/profile too. in fact, I have a different problem - when I print to this profile, all dark colors in the image are posterized, badly. the dark parts of the printed out image look terrible. I'm very unhappy with the 4000 as of this point, having wasted about $400 worth of ink and a ton of paper. I want to return the printer because it *should* print close-to-right out of the box for $2000, and I don't want to spend another grand on RIP software, but the place I bought it from (Glazer's, Seattle), won't allow returns on printers. So I'm stuck with having to buy RIP software, or selling the printer on my own. I am not going to dink around messing with the profiles by hand. No WAY.

zipwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:43 AM   #5

I've had my 4000 for just a couple weeks. My comparison among Premium Luster, Semimatte, and Enhanced Matte showed that Enhanced Matte was cooler than the other two for color prints. The Luster and Semimatte were surprizingly alike, just the surface texture to distinguish between them. The warmth of these two compare to EM was very slight. The suface finish/texture is a bigger difference than the color shift. Some images will look better on one paper than the other.

I've done deep blacks in color prints with no posterization with any of the papers. At this point I'm very happy with the 4000. I moved to it from the Epson 2000P.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote