Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:36 PM   #1

I I have had my i9900 for a few months and havebeen very happy with it until my wife pointed out that the colors do not match the preview photos in Jasc Paintshop photo album 5.

I tryed printing direct from PS Elements and it made no difference.

I tryed some of the manual settings suggested in another thread here and it was better but not great.

I ordered a program to calibrate my monitor and wondered ifthere is a device or program that will calibrate the colors in my printer.

Any suggestions?
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:43 AM   #2

Go to the canon web site and download the updated driver for this printer. Save it to a file you have already named and saved let say in MY Documents. Then delete your printer and reinstall it with the original software that came with it. Next open the printer properties and find the screen that says update printer. Find the specific file that you saved the updated driver in with the browse button and then select it and install. This should help.
jcweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll try it.

I did update the driver but didn't delete the printer and reinstall. Is there a reason for this procedure? Have you had to follow it before?

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:26 PM   #4

Hi! I'm having the same problem - did the suggested procedure work?

Thanks!
wineandtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:02 PM   #5

I probably won't get time to test it until the weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:00 PM   #6

I've been working all day on the same problem. First I calibrated my monitor using the built in one called Adobe Gamma (I use a PC and am using Windows XP). Thenin Photoshop CS,inthe print preview section, I chose Color Management and then chose Printer color management for the print space. By choosing Printer Color Management, I think it defaults to the Canon's ICC profiles and skips the profile that Photoshop wants to use. The pictures are quite a lot better - not perfect, but loads better.
wineandtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:27 PM   #7

I deleted the printer, reinstalled and updated with absolutely no change in print color. I also recolibrated my monitor using Pantone's ColorPlus.

I have been working with digital photography for a long time but never paid a lot of attention to color management. Since I got a Canon 20D for Xmas I think I'll start getting serious.

I assume I need an ICC profile but I don't know much about ICC profiles. I'm not sure if the ICC profiles adjust thru the driver or is software dependent. Does anyone know of a good "ICC for Idiots" book?

Thanks

Dave
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:33 PM   #8

Speaking of ICC profiles, shouldn't the Canon driver beaccurate if I use a Canon 9900i with Canon ink and Canon Photo Paper Pro?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:04 PM   #9

Dave S, no you do not need an icc profile for your printer.

First of all you need a calibrated monitor. You can download wiziwyg from praxisoft and do it for free. Make sure of your final calibration by viewing some correctly exposed and color adjusted photos done by a professional (photoblink.com has tons). Concentrate on skin tones, whites and blacks in a color image.

Remember that images edited on a miscalibated monitor will be off in color and exposure after the monitor is properly calibrated.

Turn color management OFF in paintshop pro (it's what I use). You must get your monitor and printer in sync.

Do a manual print head alignment and pick the box with the most solid color to plug back into the driver.

If your image is too red change the cyan slider in -+5 increments or what ever color(s) is shifted. Once you get the color right create a profile in your driver (profiles tab) and save it.

This is the procedure that I used for an I960, and am assuming the I9900 is fairly close at the driver level.

Canon makes a good printer but their software sucks. Each time you power on the printer it's a good idea to check your settings because the driver reverts back to defaults all too often. In fact I have started loading my profile (s) each power on, just to be sure.
Sammy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:00 AM   #10

Thanks for the advise

I did buy the colorplus devise and calibrated my monitor. It seems to work OK. I also downloaded a test sheet from one of the color management sites.

I was just reluctant to override the automatic setings. Usually if you adust one color you need to adjust others. I assumed others would be having the same problem and there would be an automated printer adjustment similar to the monitor adjustment. The more I read into it the more complicated it gets.

I think I'll take you advise and trust my own eyes. I have the added problem that my wife has gotten used to Jasc Photo Album to view adjust and print photos and if I add a step in her printing setup she gets mad at me. She even gets mad when I upgrade software to the latest version.