Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1

Having bought the Canon i9950 (9900 in the USA) I am tearing my hair out trying to solve this problem. I use either Photoshop Elements, or Paintshop Pro, but no matter what the problem remains, Either I get a border on two sides, height and width, orborderless on two sides, top and bottom. I have tried setting the parameters for either 11 x 8.5 or 29.7cm x 21cm in PSand ticking the borderless box in the printing preferencesbefore printing, to be told that some clipping will occur because the image is too large. No way. I have also tried using the formatting ratio to obviate the problem, like 1.294 proportion for 11 x 8.5in paper.

If I instruct it to print, and select preferences, it shows A4, but will not let me select 11 x 8.5. Does this mean it is trying to scale to a european A4 size, with no option to use american sizes?

Whatever, I am several packs of paper down, and need some help please!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:48 AM   #2

It's a simple thing, but are you sure you're printing in landscape mode, not portrait? Also, be sure to size your image to be very close to the size of the paper. Your camera's imager may not have the same proportions as your paper, so you will have to crop your photo in your imaging program, or let the printer do it.
gilfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:37 AM   #3

I have tried everything. In Photoshop or PS Pro I have tried resizing the picture, have ticked the "maintain proportions" box, and, yes, checked that it is in landscape mode. I am serious, any suggestions are welcome, and thanks for trying.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:30 AM   #4

You should try using Canon's Easy Photo Print software to do borderless prints; it's what I use and it works perfectly. It automatically scales the images to fit the media.
SickBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5
Administrator

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
If I instruct it to print, and select preferences, it shows A4, but will not let me select 11 x 8.5. Does this mean it is trying to scale to a european A4 size, with no option to use american sizes?

Whatever, I am several packs of paper down, and need some help please!
If you are talking about the printer dialog box not letting you select 8.5x11"; that's exactly what it sounds like to me (the drivers for your model do not support this paper size for borderless prints).

Here are the paper sizes supported by the i9950 for bordless prints:

Photo Paper Pro (A3+, A3, A4 & 4"x6"), Photo Paper Plus Glossy (A3+, A3, A4, 5"x7" & 4"x6"), Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss (A3, A4 & 4"x6"), Glossy Photo Paper (A3+, A3, A4 & 4"x6"), Matte Photo Paper (A3, A4)

The U.S specific i9900 printer does support borderless 8.5x11 prints. So, there are probably two different sets of printer drivers (which is one reason Canon probably sells them under two different model numbers).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:31 AM   #6

Thanks for all your help, and now have a laugh at my expense please! I omitted to download the Easy Photo disk onto the computer! That makes it VERY easy (Thanks SB) and interestingly it also allows me to use american letter paper, and shows the cropping incurred compared to A4. I had got around the problem withPaintshop Pro 8and the print preview by resizing until the preview showed no border. It is interesting that with some programs (Fotostation for one) it is almost impossible to resize for borderless. Oh, and thanks JimC, but by chance I found out the "letter" size, in the dialogue box, is actually 11 x 8 ins!

I guess we all go through these teething stages, but why are the manuals written only for people who already know exactly what they are doing?

Thanks all.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:28 PM   #7
Administrator

LOL.. Well, I copied the specs from a review of the i9950 I found on a web site. So, they must be wrong if you got it to support borderless letter size.

The review showed it supported letter size, butnot for bordless (it was a separate section in the specs).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote