Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:27 AM   #1

I have the I9900 and yesterday printed a photo on 8X10 epson paper. It came out well, has anyone else tried epson paper with the i9900? Another question..does canon make 8X10 paper for borderless, I only saw epson. When printing this 8X10 I get a white border, even though I chose the custom setting of 8X10, any suggestions on how to get borderless on 8X10 because I dont think there is a preset size for it,

Thanks

timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:42 AM   #2

Unfortunately, you can't get a borderless 8x10 photo without having to do a little trimming first. This goes for all Canon printers.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:39 AM   #3

Yes there is no way to get away from trimming. But I think the image quality is the most important thing. I have used all types of paper in my I9900. There are only2 brands that I use. Ritz camera brand, and Konica-Minolta. Bothe the glossy and satin work great with better results than the local photo shops.
jcweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:24 AM   #4

One of the disadvantages of a Canon photo printer is that Canon makes only a limited assortment of paper and Canon wants you to use their paper. You can't print panoramas over 24 inches because Canon doesn't make panorama paper and you can't print sizes that Canon paper doesn't come in like 8 X 10.

Most printers are sold at minimum markup and the companies make money on their consumables. There is a way to jerry rig the S9000 to print full panoramas at photo quality. Since Canon closed the loophole in current printers I haven't upgraded. I now use mostly Red River paper because it comes in 13 inch rolls and 13 inch stock panorama size. I want to use the same paper for standard prints as I do for panoramas, so I don't buy Canon paper anymore. They have good reason to not allow printing on paper sizes they don't make. The slippery slope says that if you have to profile for non-Canon paper you might as well profile for non-Canon ink at the same time.

Someone at a trade show ran across a Canon executive at the Canon booth and asked about panorama capability. He said it was a simple firmware update, but no Canon photo printer was going to be able to print panoramas until Canon made panorama paper. I think the same is probably true for 8 X 10.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:08 AM   #5

I was giving some serious thought about purchasing a i9900 printer until I found out that you couldn't print 8x10 and 11x14 borderless prints. I do a lot of borderless printing in these sizes, not only because I prefer it, but because that is what most of my customers request. It's too bad that Canon is so short-sighted in this respect, and not customer orientated or lacking in knowledge what a lot of photographer's needs are. I'm glad Epson hasn't taken this approach in designing their printers. I'm anxiously awaiting their new 5000 model to hit the USA market. I'll bet that you will be able to print any paper size this printer can handle, in borderless format.
woodyed is offline   Reply With Quote