Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:57 AM   #1

I have just purchased the i9950. I have noticed that when I print on Canon Glossy Photo Paper 190g, I get pizza wheel marks on my print. I couldn't see them straight on, but I noticed them when I tilted the print and caught the reflection off all the marks. They are like little perforations running right across the print. I haven't noticed it with the Pro paper, although sometimes I get scratches when they come out.
I noticed that where the paper comes out there are indeed "pizza" wheel rollers that feed the paper onto the paper tray. They look really sharp and it really is amazing that not ALL my prints have these marks.
Is it normal that these "lower" quality papers should have these marks and therefore, am I forced to buy the Pro papers?
Should I return my printer for a new one?
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 1:32 AM   #2

Curious.... I just tried some Kodak ultraglossy 4x6 in 220g paper. No sign of track marks anywhere.
I have tried setting the printer opotions to "prevent abrasions", but makes no difference to the Canon glossy photo paper. Track marks are everywhere.

As an aside, I set my printetr to quiet mode to see what the difference was. Has anyone noticed a difference? I didn't...

So what do you guys think? Is there something wrong with my printer? Should I be changing my printer for a new one?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:08 PM   #3

I've noticed it too, if i print a 5X7 it comes on the right hand side of the print vertically. I've noticed that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I tried not putting it right against the side of the paper feeder (on the right)but close to it and that may have fixed it i can't remember. Its pretty much an intermident problem as this has happened on my first i9900(defective because of black ink splatters) and my new one i use now.
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:09 PM   #4

Mine happens on the Right side about 0.5 cm in, then at intervals of 3cm after that. Therefore, there are 4 track lines on my 4x6 prints, with each track line ectending right across the print
Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:18 PM   #5

Well, you lot have really got me going! Taking photos out of frames, examining with a magnifying glass and all! However I reckon I must be lucky since there are no marks on any print, right up to A3+ from 7 x 5. Is the pressure of the wheels adjustable? I have no idea, but it would seem there is a problem with some printers but mass production will throw up imperfections I suppose.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:11 AM   #6

Actually, they're not framed. They're just 4x6s that I would like to give to people. I haven't been using a magnifying glass. The wheel marks are clearly visible with the naked eye.
Update: It seems that any other paper I try that is heavier than the 190gm hhas no problem at all.
Cameranserai, were the papers you were referring to, heavier than 190gms?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:35 PM   #7

Mmm yes, I can now see why you were having problems - I use Canon Pro and also the paper recommended by Steve at:-

http://www.freephotopaper.com/ProPaper-sdc.htm

It is a pity that they don't do A4 in the USA but the 7 x 5 and the A3+ is superb. I can highly recommend it. As you will see it is 11.8mm according to the description but in european terms I would rate it about 290 gm paper. It is like cardboard!

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:57 AM   #8

Update:
I called Canon and they said the things happening to the printer are definitely not normal and told me to take it to a service centre. Service centre looked at it for a few days and said they couldn't do anything about the wheel marks, nor the banding. They suggested I take it to the Canon head office.
Went to head office. They said that it was definitely not normal. Took my printer for a few hours and couldn't fix it. They need it for a few days....
Well, I'll call them next Wed and see what the verdict is....
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:38 AM   #9

Well, got my printer back. I am really disappointed. My printer came back with 5 ink tanks empty (!), dust all over it, and most disappointing of all... it still has the same problems! I called Canon and told them I had really lost faith in their product and enquired about a refund. They said all they could do is try and fix it again, and that I should have returned it to the shop before! (It was only 1 week old at that time) I told them that I had initially called Canon asking whether I should return it because I wasn't sure whether it was a problem with ALL i9900s. Canon had told me not to return it and to bring it in to let someone check it out!
All in all, I would NOT recommend the i9900 becuase of it's quality and also because of Canon's poor customer service (Sydney, Australia). However, I must say that everyone else I know that has one, is pretty pleased with it.