Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Epson 2200 question

I have read the reviews and the literature. Has anyone actually purchased the 2200? How do you like it compared to your old photo printer?
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:18 PM   #2

Default Re: Epson 2200 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlibob
I have read the reviews and the literature. Has anyone actually purchased the 2200? How do you like it compared to your old photo printer?
I upgraded from the 1270 to the 2200. On glossy paper the 1270 looks more like a real picture though the 2200 shows more detail, is more convenient (borderless print) and uses longer lasting ink. ...Rich
RichYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 9:15 AM   #3

Go to Phil Askey's site, where talk of this printer dominate the Epson forum:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1013

Damien
Epson 3100Z
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:25 PM   #4

Charliebob,
Use the site Damien mentioned. Stay clear of C/NET reviews. Tend to be the "plug and play" crowd that likes to keep the "owners Manuel" in "proof" condition.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5

can your Epson printer print till the last drop of ink?
roychen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:29 PM   #6

The 2200 is an amazing printer. Quality is top notch and it will last a long time. There is a reason why many professional photographers will sell the output of this printer.

The only problems that I know of are:
Not enough contrast in the prictures. This is partially due to having only 5 color inks (and 1 black.) And partially due to the type of inks used (UltraChrome ink.)]

Outgassing. On some papers that don't obsorb ink fast, there is a gas which escapes during the drying process that continues to be put out for days afterwards (on some papers.) This can fog the inside of a frame. To learn more about it read this:
http://www.inkjetart.com/news/gassing.html
and
http://www.inkjetart.com/news/epson_glycol_ghost.html

If you print on matt paper, you shouldn't have this problem. (Note, while I hear about this mostly from Epson printers, they believe this problem happens with any printers. I don't know if this is true.)

Bronzing. I know little about this, so you should probably search around more. I believe this is an attribute of the inks and not the printer.

But I don't think any of these problems should stop you from getting this printer. Its a great printer. I don't own one ('cause I'm going to get the Epson 4000) but I've seen its output many times and its great.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:20 PM   #7

Epson now has two almost identical printers in their line up the 2200 and the r1800.

R1800 is an ultrachrome pigment based 8 color printer adding red and blue inks to the the ink lineup. It is "5760 x 1440 optimized dpi and ink droplets as small as 1.5 picoliters", and has afaster print speed than the 2200.

The 2200 is "2880 x 1440 dpi resolution with ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets "

I suspectthe R1800 will end up replacing the 2200 in the future.

I'd also expect the new ink configuration, and print head to make its way into the larger printers.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:02 AM   #8

No, the R1800 will not replace the 2200. They are aimed at different markets. The 2200 is a "professional" grade printer, it can print more without mechanical problems.

Read here:
http://www.inkjetart.com/R1800/index.html

About 2/3rds of the way down is a question and answer section that includes a comparison of the R1800 and the 2200.

I expect the 2200 to be replaced by a new printer in the late 3rd quarter of this year. It will have more ink colors (7 or 8 + mat and glossy black?) and probably newly formulated UltraChrome inks that are a bit more contrasty.

Eric

ps. Epson printers are not designed to print until the cartridge has run out of ink. They claim this is "bad for the print head". I don't know if this is really true or not, but it is what Epson claims. There is currently a Class Action Lawsuit (or maybe there was, if it didn't past the judge) about this against epson. I don't know its state.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:39 PM   #9

Ah OK, that makes sense.

I have the 2200 and it has been great, I have been eying the 4000 or 7600 a lot lately though. Just the ability to use the 220ml ink tanks is worth it, even without the bigger print size. Those or the HP-130, but that would be back to dye prints again.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:10 PM   #10

I've been thinking about the 4000 myself. Partially for the larger cartridges (like you) and because some times I really do what to make a large print. The reputable places around me charge a lot for bigger than 13" ($40+ a print!)

There are a few downsides to the 4000 (be prepared, I have been researching!)

It can't print on paper smaller than 8x10 (no postcard stock!) It will make smaller prints, but it can't handle the small paper.

It can't to edge-to-end printing on the top and bottom. This is because the printer doesn't use rollers to hold the paper it uses foam to clamp and hold. And it can't print under the foam (of course.)

It is large. Around 100lb after you load it with inks and a paper roll (around 85lb straight up.) And its big, even if they call it a "desk top" printer. This results in you needing to plan for it. I will buy a new table with wheels for those few times I want to print off rolls or print on canvas and need access to the back to feed it.

It's loud. I've heard the 2200 described as a purr, while the 4000 is described as a growl. I've heard the 2200 and it sure seemed quite to me (compared to my old Epson 720!)

A head cleaning will clean both black ink heads even if you *never* print with one of them. This slowly wastes ink. Annoying, but life I guess.

The output is just slightly better than the 2200. But the real huge win is the dual black cartridges (no switching) and the big paper tray letting you print loads through it unattended.

Oh, and there is a $300 rebate until the 15th of this month.

Eric