Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 30, 2002, 8:18 PM   #1
smf

Default Bulk Ultrachrome Inks

Hello,

Looking at the Epson site they sell 110 ml ink cartridges of the Ultrachrome inks for the wide format printers for about $70 and 220 ml for $112.

I don't know how much a standard cartridge for my Epson 2200 holds, but somehow I bet buying it bulk is cheaper.

My questions:

1. With Epson's chips, do they have memory, or if I take the cartridge out, refill it and replace it will it appear as full?

2. Underneath the sticker which says "Do not remove this label" are two holes which I guess one could squirt ink into. Does anyone know why there are two and would it matter which I used?

thanks,

Steve (not the Steve)
smf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2003, 8:41 AM   #2

I have a Epson 1280, so the reply needs to be filtered through that knowledge...

The epson chips (as I understand it) count the picoliters of ink that goes out of the cartridge as you print. If you print the thing 1/2 way down, then refill, it will still show 1/2 way down as a result. They are in the business of making money on their supplies. It's the razor blade business. (That's why I stopped shaving back in the 70's).. Give away the printer, and make your profits on the consumables.

The worst of the bunch, refill wise? Canon. They are planning a count the picoliters, and then destroy the print element so you can't refill.

I've seen (for the 1280, not the 2000 or 2200) a REALLY big ink supply done as 6 or 8 external 4 oz bottles of ink, feeding in through a umbilical cord, and a carefully designed feed based on an ink cartridge with a dedicated chip that -always- says it is full. I'd consider one of those except for the up front price of $500ish for the setup, and then a couple of hundred for the ink. Drops the ink costs per print down into the nickel range. <wheee> - Now if I did a whole lot more printing, I'd do that.

I've also found that for optimum results on anything but Epson paper, I had to tweak the ink settings manually.. Always go for slow print, or you get odd splotches on the print.. kinda aligator skin appearance on large areas of instense color. Whether that would be needed on the 2000 or 2200 I have no idea.. Different inks.
BillBlomgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlomgren
The worst of the bunch, refill wise? Canon. They are planning a count the picoliters, and then destroy the print element so you can't refill.
Wow, I know I'm 6 months late but where on earth did you hear that ridiculous statement?

On Canon's BCI-6 cartridges, which it plans on using for a great while to come has nothing but plastic, felt and ink in the cartridge. There's no "element" to destroy. If anything, Canon is by far the easiest to refill.

Sheesh people get some crazy info sometimes :?: :?: :?:
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4

Old thread resurection

The standard 2200 cart holds about 20ml of ink.

There are chip reseters out there that can set it back to full.
I think I have seen these sold at mediastreet.com

I think epson may say some nasty warrantie things if you refill.
Like they are not getting all your money
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5

[Wow, I know I'm 6 months late but where on earth did you hear that ridiculous statement?

On Canon's BCI-6 cartridges, which it plans on using for a great while to come has nothing but plastic, felt and ink in the cartridge. There's no "element" to destroy. If anything, Canon is by far the easiest to refill.

Sheesh people get some crazy info sometimes :?: :?: :?:[/quote]
----------------------------
MY rather immense brainfart! Sorry about that. I was thinking Lexmark, which is trying to force that...

I went out and actually purchased a 9000...

And haven't done any refills at this point, but may because it is so easy.

Sorry about that!
BillBlomgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:36 AM   #6

I`ve not used it but some club members have a "Zapper" which retails in the UK for about 6 ($9). You attach the empty cartridge to it and it "zaps" the chip and resets it to full. You use the cartridge but do not refill. There appears to be 25 to 30% ink left which becomes useable. Do not zap again because it runs out.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote