Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:27 AM   #1

Hello everyone I have just register and I need some advice on buying a good A3 printer. I have read the review of Steve's and some others for both the Canon i9950 and Epson 1290s & 2100.
I study graphic design so I mainly use it for printing from Illustrator, Quark Xpress, Photoshop and maybe some photos. I would also like to know how quick the cartridges are drain off. I think thats it.

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris
dimmdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:11 PM   #2

I also want to have a good quality when I print text. even in small sizes. thanks a lot. dimitris
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:57 PM   #3

anyone?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:49 PM   #4

2100/2200 is older - but has photochrome inks - pigmented, long print life. It will do panoramas upto 44". Probably better black and white than the Canon i9900. More versatile paper selections, especially without custom profiles. If you want the Epson, give them some time to get the R800 technology to the US/Europe

Canon i9900/i9950 - I have the i9900, and the color prints are awesome - quite difficult to tell apart from the output of my darkroom printing. This printer is faster and cheaper to operate than the Epson. Paper selections are limited, but many non-Canon papers work, although some color differences show up with Kodak or Epson papers compared to Canon - it should be possible to calibrate these out with custom profiles. I don't do black and white or care about text from this printer. The i9900 won't do CDs, and may have some trouble with very heavy or very light papers. Output to plain paper is mediocre, with the Epson CX3200 I also have doing better on plain paper.
mark.huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:59 PM   #5

Also being new to using the i9900, I have been trying different stock. Overall my prints have gotten great comments from those viewing them. In fact, most can't believe they are not photo lab. For B&W I am going to purchase the HP so I can take advantage of the multiple black ink tanks. The review was good enough to convince me the printer would be worth it just for those.

As to the drain of ink . . . I have just ordered another set yet haven't needed them. Wish I had kept track of how many and what type of prints. I guess I am so impressed I feel it will use what it needs and I'll live with it.
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:56 AM   #6

Hello Dimmdesign, I'm in the same boat you are; graphic designer looking for a good 13x19 format inkjet printer that's able to print photos and text well in OS X. I'm curious to know whether you ended up getting the Canon i9900 or not? If so, how is it working?
vivianh is offline   Reply With Quote