Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

I just spent a great deal of time chossing a printer. Althought the HP 8450 was in the running, In really was between the Canon i9900 and the Epson 2200. While I think the Canon had a slight edge in print quality and a definite edge in speed, I ended up going with the Epson because of what I would consider to be questionable decisions by Canon as to what features should be on a serious photo printer:
  1. Inability to print panoramas- One of the great thing about shooting digital is the ability to stitch together photos to create panoramas- why would you not want to be able to print them? [/*]
  2. Poor B & W printing abilities [/*]
  3. Poor professional color management support- To quote Red River-"Canon's software is not really built to make profile usage all that easy." [/*]
  4. Questionable print life[/*]
Despite good print quality and speed, Canon seems to be targeting the consumer market rather than the serious amateur or professional- their printers are just to limiting.

I know the 2200 is a bit old, but I was able to get a 2200 for $300 on Ebay (new!), so if I have want to replace it in a year, it's not that big a deal.
Ray Lindsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

I vote for Epson too. Besides, I think they can produce better quality of photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"$300 for 2200 is not bad, but if you want to wait, you can wait till the wide format of Epson R800 rolling out.

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...0/pxg50001.htm

PX-G5000, it is a wide format printer and it is 7 color + glossy ink.

If you do not need to use A3 size printer, R800 is good enough

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:15 PM   #3

some things to consider

1. panoramas or lack there of sucks big time.
2. I don't believe B/W is any worse/better on Epson vs. Canon. Try to print a B/W on glossy with an Epson. Notice any problems. Hell, even Epson realized they had a problem and tried to fix it with the R800 and the "gloss optimizer". Probably still an issue.
3. I use red river paper, but don't know what the heck they are talking about. I use Qimage for printing (and many others use it, or Photoshop), and using the canon profiles is no different than the Epson profiles with these software packages. If you use canon's easy photoprint, it is also easy to change profiles through the driver.
4. Print life is questionable, but I have not had any problems, albeit it has only been a short while (1.5 years since I have been using an photo quality canon).

anyway, you are, of courese, free to chose any printer you want, but please don't propogate misleading information.

many people feel canon's photos are superior, but will concede a bit of quality for a theoreticaly longer print life. me, if my prints fade in 5 years, i'll reprint them with a newer, fancier, printer.

if you got a 2200 for $300 new with ink, you did get a good deal.
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:23 PM   #4

Agree, 2200 with full ink cartridges for just $300 is a good deal. only catridges themselves are aound $100.

If you really consider about your cost and printout quality, you can try out bulk ink solution from InkRepublic.com

They make good spongeless bulk ink system for most of existing Epson printers.

They also claim their system can work for future printers, personally I believe it is a good investment.
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:20 AM   #5

tim g wrote:
Quote:
2. I don't believe B/W is any worse/better on Epson vs. Canon. Try to print a B/W on glossy with an Epson. Notice any problems. Hell, even Epson realized they had a problem and tried to fix it with the R800 and the "gloss optimizer". Probably still an issue.
The gloss optimizer is only there because the pigment inks used in the R800 don't soak into the paper like dye inks do, and therefore give a matt finish to the prints. The gloss optimizer is an overcoat that protects the image layer, and provides a shiny gloss finish. Pigment inks should give prints that last longer.. time will tell if that really is the case.

None of that makes B/W prints any better or worse than they would be using dye inks, and from what I've seen there's nothing much in the print quality between Epson and Canon on B/W prints - its still a matter of experimenting with papers and settings (and inks) to find the best compromise.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:49 AM   #6

Harvey wrote:
Quote:
Pigment inks should give prints that last longer.. time will tell if that really is the case.

Here is the thing, I keep thinking that if the "longevity" is that important during this "digital life"?

If the color fade out, fine, I can print it again......

of course, that may only apply home user, definitely not for the professional purpose.
PAlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:30 PM   #7

That may be why Canon sticks to Dye based inks. If you print photo's professionally you will probably never go a week without printing. However, if you use the printer as a general purpose printer and maybe twice a month do photo's then clogging/massive deep cleaning of the photo parts of the printer become a major issue. Note that Canon's IP4000 and IP5000 are supposed to be fast at text and do duplex (although slowly I'm told). Different needs.

Just my $0.02 worth

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote