Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:34 PM   #21

Quote:
There is the story that a pro with a Desginjet selling an artsy print when the customer inadvertenly sneezed and ruined the print and lost the sale....funny but not funny.
Now that's entertainment! - and just a little disgusting:lol:

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:37 AM   #22

I just got my Epson R1800. I am totally blown away by the prints coming out of this thing!
I wanted to set it up as soon as I got it home, but I thought it would take me hours before I could see my first print. I had it totally up and running within 15 minutes and got my first print, seconds after.
I was expecting for my first print to be crappy so I decided to print a 4 by 6, to save some ink and paper. I printed a picture of my son and daughter on Epson's high gloss premium paper, and used all of the optional settings, which increase quality, in the print options. The print was amazing, much better then what I had expected. The print came out, seemingly dry already, within 15 seconds.
After printing a few more 4 by 6 for grandparents, I got to some serious business. I printed an 8.5 by 11 B&W. again, totally amazing and fast and flawless.
I can't explain the overall quality in words here, here is a cliché: A picture is worth a thousand words!
By the way, they included a firewire cable in the box…
aman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:48 AM   #23

Hi Aman_S,

Nice story!!

You also can tell this on:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Epson-R1800/

That would be appreciated, so become a free member....

vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:40 AM   #24

I ditto your comments, the HP8750 is awesome, flawless but not FAST.

I sure wish Epson would have included ALL the grey inks from the 2200 printer, then it would be perfect to me.

Alex
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:29 PM   #25

I enjoyed reading all the opinions in this forum; however, I'd like to throw in a curve ball. I just cancelled my order for the HP8750 as fading is a BIG issue with me and I'm a little concerend that the HP8750 is not dye based as is the Epson R1800. I just sold my Epson 1280 as I swear the prints started fading as they were coming out of the printer. I live in a high humidy area and fading is a big problem; however, I have a little HP5550 and have photos printed from two years ago hanging on the wall uncoveredshow no fading at all, but the Epson 1280 printed at the same time were almost completely faded away. I understand that both printersdon not usearchival ink so I guess it is a combination of the ink and paper? I used Epson paper with the Epson 1280 and HP paper with the HP5550.

Anyway, my point being Canon is now coming out with the Pixus iP9910 which is dye based ink and large format. I understand it was released in Japan in February. I'm hoping my decision to cancel my order for the HP8750 and wait for Steve'e Review on the new Canon iP9910 will be to my benefit. From what I have read, the new Canon prints are fade resistant, fast printing, great color, and up to A3 (13x19). I'm not sure about water resistant?

Any comments?

Thanks...:-)
sherrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:12 PM   #26

Sherrye

I believe you meant the HP 8750 inkset is not " pigment based" . It is in fact dye based. According to Wilhelm Image Research, the new Hp vivera inkset on Hp paper has an archival rating of approx. 108 years behind glass. This is on par with Epson's pigment ultra chrome inkset.

I'm going to buy the 8750 as soon as it's available and I can assure you, as someone who plans on selling my work, fade resistance and longevity were primaryconsiderationsin my decision to purchase the HP. My research indicates it has the advantages of long life without the negatives on high ink waste and clogging problems associated with the Epson printers.

If Canon comes out with an archival inkset it will be "dye based" just like th HP solution.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:23 PM   #27

Sherrye,

I think your a little confused.

The Epson R1800 is a pigment based ink printer that is archival on several paper types. THe HP 8750 is dye based as it the Canon I series 950, 960, 9100, 9910 etc.

These are all good printers but some are more archival than others...the Epson R1800 has a wide choice of paper types and is water resitant and acrhival

The Canon I9910 is supposed to use the new Canon BCI-7 inks intstead of the existing BCI6 inks. They are touting better fade resistance if you use particular Canon paper and frame the prints behind glass and out of sunlight.

Its yet be seen and proven.

Canons existing dye based ink papers make wonderful glossies and have that fresh looking ' pop' that was very hard for the Epson pigment ink based printers to duplicate...

Coming from a Canon background (I own 3 of them) and having a R1800 I have laid the same print side by side and its very, very close!! Sometime I pick the Epson, sometimes I pick the Canon, and I am a glossy print fan big time.

I was also thinking of the I9910, but I did not want to wait and I wanted the archival quality that Epson Ultrachrome inks bring to the table AND be water resistant AND bea ble to print out long panoramic prints...the Canon is limited to 23.99 inched, (I9100)..maybe they will fix this with the I9910??

I have recently printed out on 10 paper types and have another 10 to go...The prints on the fine art paper like Arches Infinity and Moab Entrada will blow you away!! You cant do this on a dye based printer....at least not like this!

Hope this helps, remember the R1800 is a pigment printer, not a dye based printer. The HP 8750 is Dye based.

Best Wishes
Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:45 PM   #28

Thanks for the clarifications. I was confused.

I am so hesitant in buying another Epson...fading, clogging, no wysiwyg prints...color on monitor so different than prints = $$$$$ in reprinting and reprinting. (no I dont' have a spyder). I read the HP8750 is great color matching right out of the box without a lot of tweaking. I like that. I'm sad there are not a lot of HP papers to choose from, I would prefer more choices than 2 for fade resistance. I like the fact on the Epson R1800 for longer pano's, water resistance, & more paper choices.

So, now...which one do I buy?:?

Epson R1800, HP8750, or wait for the Canon iP9910?

At least we have choices

Sherrye
sherrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:46 AM   #29

As in camera's, it ultimately boils down to features and capabilities since all of these high end printers have uniquequalities and characteristics. My research indicates the following.

Epson Pros: Excellent color, water resistance, (if that's an issue) , Panos, fade resistance, paper choices.

Epson Cons: High ink waste, head clogging issues, well established reputaion forbeing fussy.

HP Pros: Excellent B&W due to dedicated gray & black cartridge, excellent color, less ink wastethan competition,comparable fade resistance to pigment inks, anew print head at each change of cartridge.

HP Cons: no panos, limited papers, not water resistant.

Canon Pros: vivid color, fast printing.

Canon Cons: not water resistant, not archival yet.

You make your choice and pay your money. There are no dogs here!

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:51 AM   #30

I'll simply add that, for me anyway, it's easier to overcome the most important issue (con) of the HP which is the water resistance. A simple spray with Krylon Preserve It will solve that if you are truly concerned about it. Yes, it's an extra step, but it removes the biggest "con" of the HP and lets you enjoy all the "pros". There is still the lack of paper variety, but hopefully that will be addressed.

Now, while I agree the Epsons are quite good also, you can not as easily overcome their "cons" which are inherent to the machine itself (listed in above post). I'd also be hesitant to count on Canon until its new inks are tested and proven. For me, in your current scenario, I would be torn between the HP and the Epson. The features/tradeoffs are pretty clear and only you can decide which best fits your needs. As has been said here so often, it would be difficult to lose with either, leaving you with a tough choice that has no loser potential.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote