Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:46 AM   #41

VERY COOL! Let's see,, I think maybe Borneo. But I'll have to save up the dough.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"t
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:00 PM   #42

Good news for you...its sound like you want an inexpensive paper for the R1800 and the pigment inks it uses.

Well, I have tested a dozen types so far and you get what you pay for, but at CSOTCO they sell for $18.99 , 100 sheets 8.5 x 11 of the KIRKLAND Professional glossy paper...its by ILLFORD made in Sweeden on the backl...

This paper is cheap and works very, very well with Epson's pigment inks...

The enhanced matte works better than the Heavyweight matte, the profiles are better and its not that much more....than the heavyweight matte.

The other el cheopo paper I so not like , the ink does not sink into the paper, takes a longer time to dry and never looks quite right.

When you find a paper you really like, then you try to find it as cheap as you can.

Best Wishes

Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:27 PM   #43

Sherry...

You dont need an engineering degree to run an R1800 or other printers, but it helps understanding what your doing...you could buy an Espon Picturemate or an HP Toaster printer and just do nomral 4 x 6's and be happy.

You can choose a very simple workflow and get good results with most well exposed images.

Having your monitor calibrated means when you look at a color on the crt or lcd its the color its supposed to be. Red is Red, Blue is Blue etc..

Having a device that measures this helps get the colors right, you use this profile to ensure your looking at is right or as close as your monitors capability is (gamut).

If you do this, and use paper/ink profiles in your print software either Adobe, Qiamge and other favorites, you can get prints that are very close to what you see on your monitor.

This is NOT just an Epson r1800 issue, all printers have this issue, or rather all monitors do to....some people get lucky and adjust their monitor and get it close to what a colorimeter would do .

Printer and paper manufactures make paper profiles to help get the most out f a paper printing capability. Greener greens, bluer (sp?) blues etc...

You dont have to do all this. But is helps to be consistant and have better control over what your doing...their is a cost to do this for all printes and monitor combinations.

If you take well exposed pictures, many of the failry simple workflows and default settings will give you a 'decent' print.

If you have your brightness and contrast cranked up, you may not get good results but they should be consitent with a particular paper/ink combo. Maybe too dark to light....and you can adjust fomr here, either ther printer with adjustments in it or the monitor with its RGB, contrast, brightness contorls or combinations..this is where a colorimeter helps get it this on the monitor side where it is the best ...

You can use the Adobe Gamma Loader and do this monitor calibration by eyeball. I did this for years and was quite happy. Then the curiosity got me and I spent the buck on the Monaco and now am even more pleased! No more guessing...

Many print manufactures supply simple, easy to use print programs that most experts ignore totally, and have to use Adobe etc...you would be amazed at how well these utility work with most images.

Canon has a utility that only works with jpeg files, and it does a very good job of printing, it actually prints out a very neutral Black and White print on glossy and semi-luster that is just as good as an HP print to me!!

Epson has a Easy Photo print utility that also does great with most prints...

As long as your monitor is close you will be ok, even if its off with a well exposed image from your camera it should print out fairly well....

Best Wishes, and dont give up!!

Alex

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:46 PM   #44

Thanks Alex for taking the time to reply. I won't give up, and I'm excited to try. I will be ordering the R1800 sooooon

Sherrye
sherrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:51 PM   #45

Thanks Ray, I will do further research as I really want to fully understand my equipment. I have three different digital cameras, a Canon, an Olympus, and a Sony so I need to make sure everything is "in sync" with my computer so I don't waste too many prints as I did in the past with my Epson 1280.

Sherrye
sherrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 3:30 PM   #46

Did you ever get your r1800???

Alex
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:36 PM   #47

I believe I'm a few thousand percent more impulsive than you guys. I just ordered the R1800 after some reading in this forum and a review. I also believe I will be astonished at the result this printer (or the HP or Canon) will produce. The waste of ink obviously is a small problem, but something I can live with.
This talk about screen configuration made me raise an eyebrow , or two or three. I have something called Adobe Gamma loading at every startup. Is this something that specifies to the tasks you're describing - color calibration - or would I have to get some more useful applications to cover those needs?
Also, does anyone have any experience with Ilford paper. I just ordered Ilford Classic Glossy A3 paper which I thought were damn expensive. If the result is not perfect after these investments, how much can I expect to get if I sue? (only half-joking of course).
The last word though: I can see the specs - the speed, the quality and the longevity - but it all leaves me thinking - how on earth is it possible to do this!? I'm just glad I'm not one of those who's just invested their savings in film-based equipment. And out of curiosity, what kind of cameras do you people use?
RUPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:59 AM   #48

By the way, just cancelled my order for R1800 in wait of the new R2400 http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/May05/Epson%202400.htm
http://www.dpnow.com/1789.html
which seems a lot better at monochrome prints (on par or better than HP). Out June 15...
RUPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:03 AM   #49

I am getting ready to order a epson R1800 my self but after reading through these posts I am very concerned about ink costs and about the print head becoming clog's up and even damaged when useing second party inks. Anyone that has one and knows if it will work well with cheaper paper types let me know what you can.
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:55 PM   #50

So what is the R2400 supposed to do better
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote