Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:39 PM   #81

Idiots shop at Best Buy since Best Buy carries mostly low end crap. At least at CompUSA, you can buy some high end products. At least CompUSA has a decent Apple section. Just take a look at the printers they offer.....hardly any wide format, and barely any laser printers. If you talked to a pro and attempted to show your *cough* expertise referencing your employment at Best Buy, you'd get laughed out of the building, so iSAPS, plz stop your trolling. And just to let you know, Canon in Japan has dropped the IP5000 and the 1 picoliter droplet size since it was a gimmick to begin with. All the new replacement models such as the IP4100 and even the IP9910 use the 2 picoliter droplet size. And just for your info, Canon has now begun to adopt the pigment inks in their imagePROGRAF W8400:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11258

So obviously Canon realizes they are falling behind HP and Epson in the pro market.

And here are the links for Canon's new line-up which has reverted to the 2 picoliter droplet size:

http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/index-a3.html

http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/index-ip.html

tyranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:59 AM   #82

answering one of my own questions...
in a different forum (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13696731) i found figures (or rather estimates) for prices for prints on a hp photosmart 8750. jonathan statt calculated the following:
A4 = 1.47 UK pounds
A3+ = 4.71 UK pounds
Postcard = 0.60 UK pounds
(1 UK pound is approximately 1.80 US dollar)
frank74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:31 AM   #83

:roll: Canon does print on roles (commercial models). Canon DOES offer pigment based inks in one of these models. Canon's print head in the ip5000 does lay down a 1 pico litre droplet at 9600x2400 dpi (this is far higher than ANY other manufacturer). Anyone that IS IN FACT IN THE BUSINESS, KNOWS that since Canon is a Japanese based company, their products THOSE NEW INKS - START in their home country, THEN they go to Europe and THEN to the America's. I can't believe someone is still asking about the BCI-7 and why it's not in the US yet. If you were someone that IS constantly in the business and interact with the Epson REPS in the store know that THEY are not even PUSHING ROLL PRINTING on ANY of their current models, in-fact, and according to what they are TOLD to pitch to a customer, ROLL printing HAS NOT been a factor in their sales presentation for at least this PASTYEAR NOW! I have worked in a Best Buy before, A Comp USA, FRY's AND Microcenter! And YES we are trained as sales people first,but at required to take and pass training materials for the deparment we work in; and YES we do come in contact with people at a higher level than just those that fell off the turnip truck. I don't know why there is this misconception that the retails sales people are stupid or would not be qualified to sell a computer or printer? These stores LOOK for and HIRE computer geeks and technical gurues! I work with these types all day long, ALL they talk about is printing, color profiles, papers and inks. I have had celebrites and professionals come into my store that HAVE the 20D, the 1Ds and the Mark II, and guess what?!?!? SOME of those customers bought them AT BEST BUY! But wait, how can that be?? They are not carried in the display case at the store?!? Well, it's called "customer fullfilment" and we order them and they arrive at the store or the customer's home.

Canon's PROFESSIONAL wide/large format printers: THESE are listed on the consumer site!

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11264

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11258

OFFERED in pigment base AS WELL!! AND will print ON A FRICKEN ROLL! LOL

It's my guess that Canon does not put pigment based printers in the consumer line because of head clogging issues. It's a common fact of the ink that pigment ink has the potential to clog moreso than dye.

http://www.canon.com/technology/pdf/tech2005e.pdf

For those a little behind on the paper offerings, Canon has had matte paper out for some time now. In addition to that, glossy is offered, glossy-plus, photo paper pro glossy, AND NOW even Semi-gloss paper (SG-101), which is similiar to Epson's premium luster. HOW MANY more papers do you want? I have used ALL of Epsons's papers on my Canon printers, and they work fine! I have used Ilford, Konika-Minolta and Red River! AGAIN all work well on Canon printers. So how many more paper choise does someone need? Not to mention, the Canon brands are all now in 4x6, 5x7, 8.5x11, 11x17 and 13x19. Oh I forgot to mention now the DOUBLE sided photo papers from Canon, 5x7 and 8.5x11 because their current pixma line all come with a duplexer for 2 sided printing. I also just noticed on the shelf, Canon STICKERS (for post cards and envelopes), and credit card (wallet) sized paper. AGIAN, how much more paper does Canon need now? I think many people aren't aware of all of these papers as their are adding to the shelves everyday. Everyone knows that it takes a certain amount of time, no matter what company you are, for something to be announced as "out" in the market and when it shows up on the shelf. BTW, there is another thread on here where WE are testing and trying out the BCI-7 inks here! We have contact in Japan and are already using them. Just because something is not here yet doesn't mean it's impossible to get.

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 AM   #84

You still dont get it....

Your experience with Canon could help lots of Canon users....but you continue to try to convince us that you know different and that a Canon is the only printer in the world and we all should sell out Epsons and HPS and hail the coming of the new printer Messiah Chroma - life 100....and that your not CANON biased......

There are NO 13" wide A3 printers from Canon that use pigment inks and are archival...yes the top end printers do...so does EPSON and HP. You are NOT comparing apples to apples....a $500 R1800 is a pigment archival printer...what CANON $500 printer is a pigment archival printer????

HOW MANY PAPERS DO YOU NEED..again you show your ignorance and you think you know the maketplace....

Its worthless to waste any more time trying to show you how ONE sided you are....

You have a great life with your new Canon printers!!!

A.

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:08 PM   #85

:roll: I've never said those words, something about Canon being the only thing in town, or being the best. But previous posts have blasted people that do work hard and doing so in a retail chain that is the largest in the US DOES in fact allow someone to speak credibly about what sells the most and what experiences theygain from what customers tell us; and I'm referring to customers that do come into Best Buy and do spend $20 grand in one pop, or maybe one to two items and that have the 20D, theMark II, or the 1Ds. Isuppose that if I say Canon is the choicefilm and digital camera of choice, I'll get blasted by that, but hey, I wouldn't be the only one to say that. Those numbers are published in terms of sales for those cameras in comparison to other brands, but hey, I guess those published numbers are BS too huh? I did not appreciate being bashed because I was also at one time a Best Buy employee.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:42 PM   #86

Canon has dropped the IP5000 kid. Look at the Japanese site and you'll see.....the 1 picoliter gimmick didn't work out too well, as most people reported getting better results from the IP4000. And again getting back to being an expert.....working at Best Buy does NOT qualify you as an expert in the field. Just take a look at the printer offerings of Best Buy....it's a freakin joke. Now go sell a PSP with that washer you just sold son.
tyranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:07 PM   #87

can you tell me anything about using compatable inks in the epson r1800

I order some at the same time I orderd the printer have not recived eithor as yet but wondering how much of a quality loss I might expect her is a link to the cartridges I order let me know what you think

http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/r800bundle.html
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:01 AM   #88

tyranix wrote:
Quote:
Canon has dropped the IP5000 kid. Look at the Japanese site and you'll see.....the 1 picoliter gimmick didn't work out too well, as most people reported getting better results from the IP4000. And again getting back to being an expert.....working at Best Buy does NOT qualify you as an expert in the field. Just take a look at the printer offerings of Best Buy....it's a freakin joke. Now go sell a PSP with that washer you just sold son.
:roll: I realize what they offer at Best Buy, and I have NOT worked for them for over 5 years now. As you do not know, I currently work for Canon and have been with them now ever since I completed by degree in business MIS. Before that, I completed a degree in IS and currently hold not just an MCSE, but a CCNA, and CCNP. The point being, don't presume that I'm a walking, mindless automaton, programmed by Best Buy to sell PSP's. Another thing that you do not know is that, for example ALL of Canon's products, as well as the more expensive models from Epson AND HP can be purchased and delived to a customer through Best Buy full-filment (internal intranet); this would also include a dozen or so Canon EOS EF lenses andcamera accessories thatyou do NOT see at the store. But this goes for products from many companies, not just Canon. The Epson R1800 and 2400 can be purchased at Best Buy. Anyways, I thought that this forum was not about bashing and belittling other people becuase of their opinions. Lastly, before you consider what is a gimmick or not you should read Canon's technical documents of their patented technologies becasue I've talked with and attended seminars, IN JAPAN whereas I had the opportunity to see and hear from the engineers themselves.

http://www.canon.com/technology/pdf/tech2005e.pdf

So if Canon's patented technologies are gimmicks, as it was put, them why don't you put your money where your mouth is and sue them? Lord knows HP, Epson and Lexmark have been sued more times that I can count in just the last 10 years.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:43 PM   #89

I am sorry but ..."HE WORKS FOR CANON"

Now you know the rest of the story....

Guess Epson and HP dont have any technology or patents!

HAHhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA...

This is just tooo funny...

A.
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:48 PM   #90

adydula wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry but ..."HE WORKS FOR CANON"

Now you know the rest of the story....

Guess Epson and HP dont have any technology or patents!

HAHhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA...

This is just tooo funny...

A.
You see, I just proved my point! I JUST LIED (about the Canon part), to see if I'd get BASHED for that, and so I did! Hahahahha. Lastly though, if Adydula wants to challenge my technical or business degrees, I wish he would.