Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:44 PM   #1

I'm poised to purchase either the new Epson R1800 or the Canon i9900 but I'm having a real tough time making up my mind. My primary reason for getting the printer is for art work although it will be used for other things as well. I am about to attempt selling my photo digital artwork.Thereseems to be some debate as to whether the new Canon photo papers and ink will stand up to this kind of application so I've been leaning toward the Epson but I've heard complaints about nozzle clogs. I'm torn as to which way to go.

The new Epson isn't even available yet but I understand the technology is already in the R800 printer. The decision to go pigment based or dye based ink is a major concern. I've heard so many conflicting points of view that I'm twisting myself into a pretzel trying to untangle it all.

Any informed input would be appreciated.

TonyM
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:00 AM   #2

Started today:

A Yahoo-group about the brandnew Epson Stylus Photo R1800:
(panorama-printer)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Epson-R1800
vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:45 AM   #3

I researched the Cannon i9900 and the Epson 2200 and was ready to get the Epson 2200, till I saw the press release for new Epson R1800. I am going to get the Epson R1800 as soon as it is on the market.
I am also going to selling prints on line as well.
Good Luck!
Aman
aman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks Arman

After my research I've also decided on the Epson R1800. I came to the conclusion that since it's primary usewill befor saleable art work the only real option is the Epson.

It seemsEpson has a corner on the market in terms of high quality long lasting prints. Longevity is a real concern for anyone who sells their work. It seems that even with pigment ink, care must be taken in terms of how and where the work is displayed. There are just to many unanswered endurancequestions toeven consider dye based inks for serious art work at this time.

tony
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:34 AM   #5

I just placed my order! As soon as I get the printer, I will post the results!
aman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:36 AM   #6

The R1800 drivers are available on their ftp site. ftp.epson.com/drivers file name is epson11361.exe

More options than the R800. Including more B/W options. Neutral, Warm, Cool.

gracebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7

HP has changed the playing field with it's new Photosmart 8750. I've been doing non stop research on photo printers for weeks now, after reviewing the infomation on this new printer it is at the top of my very short list. I had decided on the Epson R1800 but I'm now leaning heavily toward the HP.

It seems there is no such thing as the perfect printer. All have pros and cons but at this moment the HP 8750 seems to be a new player with formidable abilities. If this printer is even as good as it's smaller cousin the 8450withclass leading B&W as well as color printing equal to or better than the competition HP has a power product on the market.

Steve's review of the smaller 8450 rates it's photo outputas nothing short of excellent. The equal of the best he's tested.

And the beat goes on!

tony

Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:49 PM   #8

for epson R1800 and R800, you can use bulk ink system to save money. Try the solution from:

http://www.inkrepublic.com

http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/R1800/index.asp

http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/R800/index.asp

besides that, their components are reusable (interchangable)

http://www.inkrepublic.com/compatibility.asp

pretty neat, isn't it ?
gracebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:39 PM   #9

I too looked at the HP 8750 BUT decided against it and bought an R1800:

WHY: The HP 8750 is limited to print length of 24".
The R1800 will do 44" panaoramics. The HP does 8" x 24" panos still nice but limited to what I want in a $500 printer.

THE HP prints are NOT water resistant...any small amount of moisture will RUIN your print...be very careful working with prints, a coffe cup or even an inadvertant sneeze could cause a print to be ruined.

Also you are limited to "2" offical HP papers for archival permanance that HP claims.

I am NOT saying the HP is a bad printer is a bad printer, it will make awesome BW's...just be aware of the total "picture".

With either printer you will be abale to make awesoe prints...its just the R1800 seems to be the better all around printer for me!

Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:08 PM   #10

I don't think you can go wrong with either printer. But Epson has an ongoing problem with head clogging and uses much more ink in the cleaning and start up cycles. With HP you get a new print head each time you change acartridge and the B&W quality is said to have no equal.

Most painters and photographers don't get their work wet and all prints should be displayed behind glass or a protective spray sealant whether they are dye based or pigment. It's always a matter of deciding what area's are most important to you when choosing a printer. If it weren't for Epsons well established reputation for head clogging I might go for it but that problem and the ink usage issue really puts me off. Given the competitive nature of this market I seriously doubt HP will not increase the number of papers for this level of printer.

tony