Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:59 PM   #1

I had just decided to get the Epson R1800 when HP announces the new 9 inkset A3 8750. It has 3 inks in3 cartridges. New Vivera archival inks and borderless 13x19 printing. They claim a wider color gamut and excellent B&W printing as well. It'sdescribed by HP,as a professional grade printer for art work.

I don't heartoo much about HP printers onthis forumbut any thoughtswould be appreciated sinceI'm nowonce again in research mode. I'd be interested in the pros and cons of individual as opposed to combined inksets. btw it's also less expensive than the Epson.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

I too, would like to know more about this printer, but it would have to be head and shoulders above the others before I will start using multicolored cartridges. too much waste. i wish hp would follow canon and epson on this one.
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:25 PM   #3

One of the big draw backs to HP printers is the bottom feed. The Canon and Epson are both top fed printers. With the HP you have to be careful of what papers that you use. The paper is bent in the printer before it gets to the print head. Because of this, you can't use the really heavy papers, canvas, silks, and I would even be careful with some of the other heavy resin coated papers. With the Epson and Canon you can use all of these papers.

Another draw back to HP printers is the cartridges. They do not put seperate tanks for each color. For some colors, you can run them out faster than the other in that tank. Well, you could have one color almost full, and one almost empty. That really sucks, because they cost about $30 or more.

Also, if you have a print head clog on one of these, you have to toss the cartridge. Last time I knew, they were built into them. WIth the others, you can take them out and clean them.

For the Epson, they have a really bad problem with clogging the print heads, even if you print alot. If you print every once and while, you will have a major clogging problem. I am not sure if they have fixed this problem with the 800/1800. I have had a couple of Epsons do this to me, so I will never buy one of their printers again.

I currently use the Canon I9100. It is an older version, but still makes great prints. I have read that Canon might be coming out with a new version to replace the I9900. You just might want to wait.

Also, you might want to wait until Steve does a review on these printers. He seems to do them really quickly and compares them to others.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the input.

I have never heard that HP has had any paper feeding problems. That dosen't seem to be an issue. On the other hand I have heard many complaints about Epson print head clogging.

I would love to see Steve review this printer because I have become very interested in it. But since it's a new and improved bigger brtother to the 8450 I suspect it will perform even better with it's optimiezed capabilties. His review of the 8450 is the reason I started considering HP in the first place.

Here is Steve's conclusion in the his review of the HP 8450.

"The Photosmart 8450's photo print quality is nothing short of excellent and rivals the output of the best photo inkjet printers that we've used. It isn't as fast as the Canon "i" and the new 2004 "iP" series printers, but it is faster than previous HP photo printer models that we reviewed last year"

That's a pretty high recommendation!!

tony
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:56 AM   #5

btw, please forgive my "typo" errors.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:07 PM   #6
Administrator

We have just setup the new HP 8750 and run off a few prints. The print quality looks to be the same as the 8450 which is no surprise as it is basically the wide carriage version of this printer. It is big, several inches wider and a lot heavier than the Canon i9900 that I normally use. It seems to print about as fast as the 8450 which seems slow after being used to the speedy Canon. The color is excellent and the b&w is awesome thanks to the photo gray inks.

Watch for the review in a couple of weeks. We are swamped with new cameras to review right now so my time is limited.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:40 AM   #7

Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward toyour fullreview. I'd be very interested in youropinion on thetri-color vs single color ink cartridge question and the pros and cons of print heads beingincluded in the cartridge.It seems to me tothatthere's atrade offof advantages either way. I'malso interested in seeing how the 8750 compares to the Epson R1800 in terms of output quality. I intend to print both color and B&W so that may influence any recommendations.

tony
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8

Tony,

I'm in the same situation - about to decide btwn the R1800 and the HP 8750. I've seen good and mixed reports on both, but the consensus most everyone shares is that the HP is much better for b/w. I don't intend to print a large amt. of b/w, so my decision is more difficult. I read a PC World review (brief) that rated the HP photos "just short of excellent" while calling the R1800 photos "excellent". I also read the other post that the 3-inks/cartridge waste issue is being overstated and that, overall, it works out nearly the same in usage to single carts.

Photo-i (Vincent) is supposedly preparing a head-to-head on these and Steve has said he may have an HP 8750 review up in the next couple of weeks. I am ready to pull the trigger, and need to soon (specific project deadlines approaching), but I anxiously await these two reports. Otherwise, from what I know now, I'm leaning HP (but that R1800 is enticing!)

Ray

flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:52 PM   #9

Ray

I don't know if you read my other post on the cartridge issue but if not here's a recap: IT-Enquirer published some ink usage, quality and cost analysis from SpencerLab who did testing and research and they state that the Tri-color waste issue is way overblown and that both Canon and Epson use substantially more ink in their cleaning cycle than Hp.They also run a head cleaning cycle EVERY time the printer is either started up or a cartridge is replaced. HPdoes not. As a consequence from 37 to 41% of their ink is used in this process. According to the test's HP get's approx. 81% of it's ink to the paper. Way more than either Canon or Epson.

This would substantially alter the cost benefit equation regarding single vs Tri- Color cartridges. In addition HP's do not have the type of clogging problems Epson is notorious for and even if they did the print head in an HP is in the cartridge so every time you replace one you get a brand new print head.

Just to be clear about this:before Ispent approx. 6 weeksresearching photo printers Ididn't even consider HP to be in the running. I was convinced my only option was Epson. I was looking for print quality AND longevity.

I'm sure the Epson R1800 is a fabulous printer but to be honest, after all the reading I've done, the head clogging problems and the attendant maintenance considerations scare the hell out of me regarding Epson.

If the HP 8750 rivals the ouput of the Epson it's a no brainer for me.

tony
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:33 PM   #10

Hi Tony,

Yes, I did see the other post of yours (which is why my other post here shows an "edit". - I had referred to it before I realized it was you who wrote it:O )

I agree about the inks and also share the clog concerns of the Epsons. Not to mention the various accounts I have seen of new R1800 owners who, while happy with the unit, still say it has some issues, especially in comparison to the 2200 (which is 3 yr old technology). I'm thinking of plunging ahead with the HP 8750 order now instead of waiting bcz I found a nice $30 off offer and 6 mo interest free financing. I was expecting to just buy it (at full price), but I'll take a free $30 and 6 mos. no interest. I'm confident, based on Steve's and Vinent's glowing reviews of the 8450 and Steve's mini-comment in this forum that I'm safe. And since it won't ship until its release date of April 15, that gives me 2 weeks to watch for other reviews to convince me otherwise. Good luck with your choice.

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote