Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1

DOES ANYBODY KNOW EPSON R300 CAN PRINT TILL THE LAST DROP OF INK LIKE HP PRINTER?
roychen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:29 AM   #2

It depends on what you call the last drop.The R300, like all Epsons I think, retains a small amount of ink in the cartridge to avoid the print head from drying. The status monitor tells you roughly when you are about to 'run dry' in any of the cartridges. It's a contentious debate as to whether or not the amount is 'a lot' or 'a little', personally I think it's not a lot of wastage and Epson say it is there for just this purpose. This is apparently in addition to the ink usage you should get according to Epson's figures. So if they say you can print up to X pages in colour, you should be able to print up to X pages in colour, without the 'waste' ink for the print heads.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:37 AM   #3

Last drop?

That's not gonna happen.

The trick is, Epson uses Sponge to hold the ink; think about it, how cannot utilize 100% of ink if there is a sponge ?

If you would like to utilize your investment, try the spongeless bulk ink system:

http://www.InkRepublic.com

they do have great system and ink.
RoseLoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:09 PM   #4

Ignoring the Inkrepublic.com's spammer RoseLoydfor a moment, Epson ink carts are designed to stop printing and still leave a small amount of ink in the cartridge - thats designed to stop the ink from drying up in the print head and causing untold problems.

Canon's current system of ink detection will allow you to print 'to the last drop', but doing so risks burning the printhed out in the process - leading to an expensive replacement.

Both HP and Lexmarks let you print even after the ink has ran out - but its not really an issue with those as replacing the ink carts replaces the print heads at the same time.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

Harvey wrote:
Quote:
Canon's current system of ink detection will allow you to print 'to the last drop', but doing so risks burning the printhed out in the process - leading to an expensive replacement.
Just as the Epson leaves some ink in the cart, so does Canon. The ink chamber is empty when the ink detector sends its first warning, but there is still ink in the sponge at that time. I have never tested this, but the printer is supposed to refuse to print when it calculates that there is too little inkremaining in the sponge.

Regardless of the printer manufacturer, is is impossbile to actually get the "last drop" of ink out of a sponge. It would be interesting tofind outhow many CCs are actually used and compare these values to the ink capacitiesclaimed by the suppliers.
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:28 AM   #6

Bit late to respond to this post, but the current Epson single colour cartridges don't use a sponge, so far as I know.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:21 AM   #7

as far as I know, Epson has removed the sponges form their cartridges since they moved to the individual cartridges for each color. InkRepublic.com, for one, now
makes a spongeless CIS.

I have tested out several "spongeless" R200 CIS from ebay, weink, and InkRepublic.

The only workable system is from InkRepublic.
http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R200

I read many reviews from videohelp.com and inkrepubilc's website.
most people did not have problem with ebay CIS at very beginning, but end up to be a nightmare.

I have been using InkRepublic R200 CIS for about 3 months and have been printing more than 1500 DVD covers. so far, it's the best CIS.
steveanderson is offline   Reply With Quote