Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Dec 16, 2002, 2:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Believe me I aligned the printheads and even cleaned the nozzle before each job. My PhotoEX did it too several years ago, and now it's the 1270 turn. I did downloaded the latest drivers to see, but it didn't help since the 1270 was doing fine with the old driver until it aged (I guess S/W doesn't change with time)... I think it's a common problem in this type of printers with the heads built in. BTW cleaning the nozzles doesn't help in the ink department either. The 5-color cartridges are barely adequate for the 785EPX let alone a wide carriage ones. The cartridges look very similar (size wise) from one generation to another with the newer ones having a monitor chip built in as far as can tell!

IMO I think this 5-colors cartridge type is too small for a large format output printer, and that's another reason I wanted to give the S9000 a try...
Wow you've been running it a bit hard for 5 years eh. That actually tends to be the life of these printers. You could buy a new printhead for the cost of about 70 bucks if you want to.

Also the cartridges if you want seperate ones check into using the 2200 or the 7600. I dunno if you want to spend that kind of money but if you are doing so many prints that you run out of ink that fast you may be the right canidate for a pro printer especially since the inks on those things are like 8 tracks.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 2:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimos
a friend of mine got the Canon S9000 and the output is way better than his HP photo printer was. It looks flawless. But the main reason he chose it was that he can get archival inks in bulk at one tenth the cost of epson inks. So he will be saving thousands of dollars in ink over the years.
Canon does'nt make archival inks. Who is he getting his inks from and how long are they archival for?
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:36 AM   #23

I think he gets his inks from mediastreet. They are archival for about 100 years. But there may be many other companies that sell bulk ink that we don't yet know about. By the way, Epson charges about $1000 a quart for their inks. Tell me if i'm wrong but that sounds like organized crime to me.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:12 PM   #24

I have only had the Canon S9000 for a week so I do not have an in-depth review.

However, I took 6 photos with the Nikon 5700 (4 - 4x6 and 2 - 8x10) to a photo lab and got them printed from the CD-R. I then took the same 6 pics and printed them off at home using the S9000. All pics were not altered/modified in anyway, straight from the camera.

The S9000 pics looked better than the photo lab. For example, a light blue blanket in one of the pics looked almost 'light turqoise' in the photo lab print but, the S9000 got the right color. Images overall looked superior and I have no regrets in chosing the S9000 over the 2200. Also the 2200 is $300 <Canadian> more and 3 times slower...
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:14 PM   #25

How do you use your canon s9000? I owned one and at first when I print it, the picture turned out wayyy too light. The color didn't match the color on the monitor. I heard something about calibrating but I don't know how. I did align the printer head and stuff. I haven't print any superior picture on s9000, I know it's not the printer fault, how do you set it up and is there any tip?
Thanks
kpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 7:42 PM   #26

Well, the first picture i printed off the S9000 was not 100% accurate. I was so excited to see the result that i didnt even calibrate the printer, heh. After that 1st print I ran the setup 'test' and made a slight correction and set the quality to 'High'. In terms of color correction/calibration i made no modifications. I have a Samsung 700IFT which is an avg. 17" monitor by todays standards. If you hold a print next to a computer screen it will always look brighter on the monitor. I simply printed off a set of photos and compared it with the same prints I had developed at a local photo lab and the S9000 result was more accurate on all 6 counts...call it a fluke, call it what you will...the fact it matches the correct colors of the original objects is what matters
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimos
I think he gets his inks from mediastreet. They are archival for about 100 years. But there may be many other companies that sell bulk ink that we don't yet know about. By the way, Epson charges about $1000 a quart for their inks. Tell me if i'm wrong but that sounds like organized crime to me.

Depends on who you buy your ink from and which printer you buy it for. IF you buy your ink for a 7600 which comes in the size of 8 tracks I think its 70 a piece.