Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Dec 11, 2002, 9:48 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 or Epson 2200?? Help please!

:?: Canon S9000 or Epson 2200?? I cannot make up my mind -- pro and con on each. I want to print my own photos from slides using my new canoScan FS4000. suggestions?
mflpigci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:22 AM   #2

Reading the reviews that Steve wrote on the Epson 2200 and the Canon S9000 and after asking around town at different dealers who sold the 2 products I went with the S9000. I just bought it today and printed off 2 4x6" pics...quality is amazing and very fast. The S9000 is $300 (Canadian) less than the Epson 2200 as well.

I'll post more info once I get some pics that I feel are "print worthy"
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:12 AM   #3

Go Canon...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:28 AM   #4
NHL

I hesitated between the Epson 2200 and the Canon S9000 as well. I think the Epson is better especially with the special photo black cartridge as well as the wider media choice, but I just bought the S9000 just because I have already own several Epsons (1270 & EPX785) and HPs (Star & Moon as well as the newer Photosmart). IMO I think the Epson cartridges are too small (even though they resist color fade better) and need replacing more often (compare to my high-capacity HP cartridge).

I just want to try out the Canon 'thinktank', and the faster speed also help with larger prints which is what this printer will be used for. There's also a substantial difference in price considering a new model comes out almost every year with better features for a lower cost everytime... I'll invest that $200 difference for next year printer acquisition!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:20 AM   #5

I still don't have a printer, but I'd vote for 2200 just because of the archival quality of their inks: promissed from 40 to 80 years depending on paper. I understand that regular prints fade in 10-15 years which is sad, ver sad!
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:40 AM   #6
NHL

twopizza

I've thought about that, except for the blacker black of the 2200, you can always reprint the picture every 15 years since it's digital. By then you already have much better printers if not much better cameras... I keep my $200 for thoses occasions!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
twopizza

I've thought about that, except for the blacker black of the 2200, you can always reprint the picture every 15 years since it's digital. By then you already have much better printers if not much better cameras...
By then I already could be some place else, surrounded by the blackest black you could wish for . Or, considering the current state of social security, will not be on the market for new gadgets any more .
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:29 AM   #8

Canon says its media is 25 years light-fast, that's more than enough, considering you can archive images on cd-r's and print them again, if need be...blessings, Johnny
Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:43 AM   #9

Canon says one thing but real life tests indicate another thing. Also the epson 2200 diffusion setup will give you sharper textures and better colors. Also the printheads dont go bad nearly as fast. WE have a canon here at work doing samples every day. The printhead either has to be aligned or replaced once a month or we see lines going through our prints.

Also who would you trust for quality. A company that owns 90 percent of the pro market and comes out with innovative technology every year or a company that only in the last year or two started making decent photos and only on 4x6 and letter sizes.

Side by side you can see the difference between the canon and the epson. The epson pulls out more colors better long distance shading, better dark area details, better black and whites. The main reason behind this is because epson uses more droplet sizes so they can do better fills and shadings Not to mention they can use less printheads because thier technology allows for it and still getting the same speed. Although in the future you might see epson releasing faster models due to more consumers wanting speed.

Also the 2200 should be good for another 3 years before a replacement should arrive. The 2000P was out for 3 years before the 2200.

Is canon good?? Yes. Is Canon the best quality?? No
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 3:15 AM   #10

Well Greg, you seem to know your stuff, and you are more of an expert than I am, but in my experiences, I have returned 2 Epson printers because the output was not nearly as good as that from my HP Original Photosmart Printer, I mean, there was no comparison, HP blew Epson out of the water! I just purchased a Canon S820, and I am very pleased with it, it is quick and the individual ink tanks make it a very desirable choice...I wish I could talk glowingly about the Epson printers, but I can't, they've been a 'thorn in my foot', compared to my HP and now my Canon.

'For God so loved the world, that He gave His only son, so that whoever believes in Him, will have eternal life...'
Blessings, Johnny...