Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:43 PM   #1

After a great deal of research andthought, I've decided to buythe new HP Photosmart 8750, but I'm not sure if I should pre order it on line from Amazon (they have a great price, $459.99 + free shipping) or wait for it to be available at a retailer. I contacted HP and they said it should be shipping around May 15th.

Has anyone made this kind of purchase oniine and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:17 PM   #2

I've made quite a few such purchases online and, so far, have had only very good luck. Of course, the biggest problem would be if the item breaks - then a local B&M shop would have been a better choice.

As for the 8750, I pre-ordered mine at Amazon in late March when they showed the release date as 4/15. On 4/15 they removed the "to be released" statement and made it appear as available with shipping of 1-2 weeks. However, on my order, it shows estimated shipping date of 4/18-20. I also read elsewhere that someone spoke directly with an HP rep today (20th) and said they were indeed released on 4/18 and should ship out very soon. I like that better than mid-May, plus I need mine before then if at all possible.

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the input Ray.

Now that I've made a firm decision on the 8750 I'm anxiously waiting for it. If the availability defferential isn't that great between getting it online or getting it at fry's electronics I may just wait. If there is a problem of any kind it certainly would be easier todeal with a walk in retailer.It would seem that when it does ship it should be available everywhere. I hope my reasoning is sound.

As in Casablanca: Waiting, waiting.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4

I finally got to see one in action on Friday. I was at the NAPP tour in Washington D.C. and there was a Canon rep with the HP 8750 and a DJ130. Prints from both looked spectacular (of course I'm sure they were tweaked to perfection). I didn't spit on either to test water resistance, but the rep did say the 8750 was officially released on 4/18 as promised. I see several sites on the internet now showing it available for about $460 and up. My amazon.com order is still lower - but - they still haven't shipped it as of Friday night. They still show it as "scheduled delivery on 4/22" (today) and I know that's not going to happen. Best case is now that they ship on Monday.

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote