Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

If I don't print a pic every week my i9900 runs a series of cleaning cycles,(or priming cycles,) each one longer than the one before, about 3 to 4 cycles. It does this on it's own prior to printing the picture. This uses a lot of ink!Canon replaced my print head, but still the same. Anyone know of cure?????? Do all the i9900 printers do this?????
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:50 PM   #2

I just run a plain paper nozzle check occasionally. It is small and doesn't use much ink. See if that might not avoid the cleaning cycles.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

What is a nozzle check? What exactly do you do? Thanks.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:13 PM   #4

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
What is a nozzle check? What exactly do you do? Thanks.
File>Print>Preferences>Maintenance>Nozzle check.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:57 AM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I just run a plain paper nozzle check occasionally. It is small and doesn't use much ink. See if that might not avoid the cleaning cycles.

OK I tried the nozzle check and after clicking on nozzel check the printer ran 3 cleaning cycles (or should I call them Priming). first one it clicked about 10 times, second about 20 clicks, and the third about 30 clicks Then it printed out the nozzle check, which was fine. It's been about 8 days since I printed a picture last. Is this normal?? Is anybody having the same problem. Inbetween this clicking cycle? cleaning cycle? or priming cycle?Whatever you call it, I can hear the print head make a pass, I guess to check for ink supply. This printer uses more ink for this than it does for printing pictures. I use only canon ink from Amazon.com If I print a pic again after printing one just a little while ago, It will not run this cycle. Need help
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:41 PM   #6

Cleaning isn't part of the nozzle check. I just ran one on my iP4000 and it just printed the nozzle check. But it has been less than a week since I printed in color with it. Unfortunately my S9000 isn't hooked up right now, but it doesn't usually run a cleaning cycle when I run the nozzle check either.

I think even with regular printing the things run a cleaning cycle occasionally. Maybe what is happening is that you print seldom enough that it is just ready for one. I run the nozzle check to keep it from clogging if I don't print color for a while. I have to do it pretty regularly with the S9000 because it isn't my primary printer and it goes unused for weeks sometimes.

Are you sure it is using that much ink cleaning? My ink use hasn't been bad with either of my Canons.

Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:34 PM   #7

I'm sure about the ink consumption, and I think this auto cleaning is something canon tried with the i9900. Users of the i9900 should be able to tell me if there printer does this same auto cleaning prior to a print job, if the printer has been off for a week or so up to 4 cycles of about first 10clicks a pause then 20 clicks then a pause then about 30 clicks a pause and then about 40 clicks then it prints out the pics. I know that if I do another print job tha same day that it goes directly to printing the pics without doing any auto cleaning. As stated before it will even do this if I just ask for a nozzle check It also does it after replacing an ink tank

I had a canon i960 prior to this one and I never had this problem
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:42 AM   #8

I guess I'm dumber than most; I've looked all through my S9000 software and can't find anything pertaining to maintenance or a nozzle check.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:07 AM   #9

Of course, I found the instructions IMMEDIATELY after making the prior post. I knew that would happen. That's why I made the prior post. I could have searched for days, with the instructions right beneath my nose, and never found them; however, admitting that I'm an idiot, no matter how damaging to my ego, always produces the desired result. Now, where did I put my keys? I'm stupid. Really, really stupid. Quite a bonehead. Heh, heh, heh. There they are!
:-)

Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #10

I take it you found out how to run maintance on your printer.