Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1

Tests done at SpencerLab Research show, that of the two printer vendors producing archival output i.e. HP and Epson, the HP is significantlymore cost effective.Only approx. 41% of Epson's ink isgettingto the paper as opposed to 81% for HP

That begs the question:

What is the volume of each color in each cartridge from each vendor. HP uses Tri-Color cartridges. Epson uses individual. It's been said more times than I can count that individual cartridges are more economical. But since 59% of the ink purchased for an Epson is beingwasted in cleaning and maintenance cycles as opposed to 19% for HP, the only way that individual cartridges are more economical would be if theycontain vastly moreink volume per color.

Let's say you pay $4.00 for a gallonof liquid but you pour out 59% of it in the sink. You've just paid $4.00 for 41% of what you bought.

Doe's anyone know what the ink volume count is in these cartridges?

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:48 PM   #2

Don't know about the Epson, but here's the HP (sure wish they were bigger for an A3+ printer):

Compatible color cartridges HP 97 Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge, 14 ml C9363WN
Compatible black cartridges HP 96 Black Inkjet Print Cartridge, 21 ml C8767WN
Compatible photo cartridges HP 99 Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 13 ml C9369WN; HP 100 Gray Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 15 ml C9368AN; HP 101 Blue Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 13 ml C9365AN; HP 102 Gray Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 23 ml C9360AN
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:55 PM   #3

What specific report are youreferring to, at SpencerLabs, send us the link, want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples...

Alex
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:20 PM   #4

Alex

You can referance it from here. If you follow pages it goes through most of the info.

http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/...oto_printers1/

Also you can check out:

www.SpencerLab.com

Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:26 PM   #5

Is that per color volume or per cartridge volume. That's the real question. Would like to compare Epson per color volume to HP and then factor in the ink waste to see what we are really talking about. Even if tests hadn't been done to substanciate the ink use issue with Epson, it stands to reason that any printer that runs cleaning and maintenace cycles at start up and cartridge change is obviously going to use more ink than a printer that doesn't use that procedure.

Thanks for the info.

tony
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

Sadly, I think it's per cart. I should know more in a couple of days - Amazon notified me today (Tues) that my HP 8750 shipped and I should have it in a few days. I got it for $429 delivered and am really looking forward to experimenting.

Ray
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:38 PM   #7

Tony,

I read the info on the link provided, thanks..this is comparing the Canon 4000, with the Epson C66/68 with the HP8750.

Thats it!

Now you may very be right in that Epsons in general uses a lot of ink in cleaning cycles but to be far we ae not comparing apples to apples. This report is a very narrow statement that looks at three specific printers.

To be fair we need to see data on the other printers that you have cast a shadow over to see if they too are "ink wasters".

I too am very cost conscious and want the ink and paper to be as low cost as possible.

There are many of us that dont have clogging because we use our printers.

Pigment based ink printers are unfortunately better than most people think, and the output of the various tpes of paper has made me a believer....again this does not take away from the HP's capablites to produce fine prints...but it too as we all agree has limitations as well.

I look forward to your results with the new HP, keep track of how many prints you print out...and see what your real costs are befoer running out of ink.

I am doing this with my R1800 and will post when we are "dry"

Best Wishes
Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8

Alex

Do keep us informed on ink use. I'd be interested in what you find.

As for the article I referred you to: The primary consideration is that regardless of whether or not we are talking about the same model, the mode of operation applies to all models for each vendor.

The numbers may vary from printer to printer but I think it's a fair assumption that any printer that runs cleaning and maintenance cycles as often as the Epson is by definition going to use more ink thank a printer that doe's not run these cycles.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:21 PM   #9

Alex, can you tell me what the perml volume is for each of the ultrachrome ink cartridges. That could have a strong influence on the ink use cost ratio.

thanks

tony
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:30 PM   #10

My HP 8750 arrived today (several days early) and to answer a couple of questions:

1. It comes with the HP 97, 101 and 102 carts. These are the best combo for 9 ink photo.

2. The cart. amounts I posted earlier are accurate. The carts are 97= 14ml total 101= 13ml total 102= 23ml total.

Not exactly the "high volume" they make you think. I'm putting it together now and will be interested to see how long these carts last. They also include a modest amount of paper: 2 sheets each of:

HP Premium Plus Photo and Proofing Gloss

HP Premium Plus Photo Satin

That's it for now.

Ray