Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 9, 2005, 5:03 AM   #1

I'm a new Epson R1800 user and pretty green to the whole thing to be honest. I've had one bad experience with my cheap old Epson C70 where I bought cheap non-epson ink and it was never the same again, so I'd rather not risk it with the R1800.

the genuine epson inks are pricey in the uk, does anyone know of a good cheap international supplier for epson inks? also any legitimate quality alternative is of interest to me.

what about the Ink Republic system, it's pretty expensive as well for the initial system, what are the ink prices like after you've bought the system?

any help very much appreciated.

pete:?:?
bigbongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 9:20 PM   #2

You bought a premium wide body printer that's concidered the Cadillac of printers and you want to runcheap gas in it? Skip a lunch and use the best inks in the industry man. Use your "cheap printer" for everyday stuff. :roll:
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 12:59 AM   #3

ok fair enough, where can I get the proper ink at the cheapest price?

Old May 15, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

There are a couple of things you need to know before heading to Ink Republic's system

1. Why they identify their product as a premium product?

2. How much you can save out there?

If you want cheap solution, go to ebay and buy cheap one - which may get yourself into trouble. So far, most of inkking system avoid the destiny of leaking and clogging problem. Even more expensive system from mediastreet.com or lyson.com, you will need to take care of inkking system very carefully, otherwise, they will stop performing after 6 months or so. Why? because of your clogged print head.

That's why InkRepublic is selling spongeless cartridge which will not get you into leaking, clogging situation. It's been proved by many users. Furthermore, their system is reusable.

for the cost analysis, lets do something like this.

if epson original cartridge has 13ml, and you can get 100ml/color from Inkrepublic.com plus their different chipset design is to avoid cleaning cycles as many as possible. Eventually, 100ml/bottle may be equal more than 15 * 13ml cartridge.

graba calculator to count out what's the cost of InkRepublic's system and what's the cost of 15 cartridges.

you can tell if buying system from InkRepublic, or bulk ink system, you can save a couple of hundreds instantly. Not to mention about the future low cost of ink without cartridge purchasing.

that's why so many people like to use bulk ink system, because it is huge money saver.

check out some reviews of inkrepublic's system:

http://www.inkrepublic.com/reviews.asp
brendonblomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:26 PM   #5

brandon,

did you get the chance to try Inkrepublic's system?

did their chipset skip the chipset recognition or remain there?
phplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:50 AM   #6

Have had the Ink Republic system in my R1800 for 6 months using their Ink. Lots of nozzle blockages and couldn't be cleaning by the usual methods. Had to resort to replacing with OEM cartridges:sad:No response to numerous emails:evil:Noted the Ink came from Taiwan, I question the quality of the Ink. Certainly not had problems with another CIS system from MIS on my 1160. The Republic ink also needs a custom profile if used with Gloss paper stock, nowhere near the color accuracy of the OEM ink.
Kiwigasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:19 AM   #7

kiwigasman can you give me some more details? overall would you recommend sticking with the expensive epson cartridges then?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:31 AM   #8

Kiwigasman wrote:
Quote:
Have had the Ink Republic system in my R1800 for 6 months using their Ink. Lots of nozzle blockages and couldn't be cleaning by the usual methods. Had to resort to replacing with OEM cartridges:sad:No response to numerous emails:evil:Noted the Ink came from Taiwan, I question the quality of the Ink. Certainly not had problems with another CIS system from MIS on my 1160. The Republic ink also needs a custom profile if used with Gloss paper stock, nowhere near the color accuracy of the OEM ink.
For what it's worth I've used the Ink Republic systems and the MIS kits but only with MIS inks in both... The Ink Republic kit worked fine with the MIS dyebase and Ultrabrite equivalent inks in my R200/300 (dyebase ink) and C84/86 (durabrite) printers respectively.. so you could use Ink republic kit with MIS ink.. but if you're going to MIS for ink anyway, you might as well get both ink and kit from them as they do the kits too...

Good thing with the I.Rep. kits is that you can always re-use with a lot of other printers (provided you have enough buffers) but you do need to get the appropriate chipset for the printer you use.

As for returning to Epson branded carts... I wouldn't recommend that for anyone unless they only print 20 copies of anything a year.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:49 AM   #9

I've tried the ink republic system, not only did it blow up in our R1800 and cause me to have to spend an entire day cleaning it. Never has been the same since.
Their support sucks, they will not respond to support requests or RMA requests. Had to use PayPal's protection policy to file a claim.

Stay away
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:15 PM   #10

Slevin wrote:
Quote:
I've tried the ink republic system, not only did it blow up in our R1800 and cause me to have to spend an entire day cleaning it. Never has been the same since.
Their support sucks, they will not respond to support requests or RMA requests. Had to use PayPal's protection policy to file a claim.

Stay away
I hadn't realised it'd been so long since my original post 2 back but as an update I'm actually in the process of removing all my Ink Republic buffers and replacing them with spongeless carts of the same type as available from MIS.

The move came because there were numerous times that the ink failed to flow, the tube pathway required extensive modification to work without rubbing excessively against the printer sides, and in a way that didn't stress the ink receiver posts in the carriage unit.

Granted they do have some benefits but reliability wise I'll only use them in my R200 and R300 printers now.. and were I to compare them to the MIS kits after 6 months of use I just can't think of a reason to pay $100 extra for the I.R. kits as they're ultimately less reliable.

That's just my experience over a much longer time and given that I've spent the full 6 months putting various kits through their paces and even started building my own.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote