Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 25, 2005, 6:51 PM   #21

OK, I'll be first to bite - what is "gobsmacked?" :lol:

Second, yours is the first experience I've seen on the HP8750 with the Ilford paper. Did you have a profile made or available or did you use one of the canned HP profiles (which one?). Were the results any different in color/tone, etc? I'm very curious on this because I'd love to use the Ilford paper and just haven't done it yet. Knowing in advance it will work well will give me encouragement to buy more than just a few sheets for fear of waste.

Thanks,

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 10:51 PM   #22
Super Moderator

i use ilford classic pearl almost exclusively for my larger prints.. (too bad it doesnt come in 5x7 or 4x6).. i find that using the color profile for HP's premium plus turns out quite nicely.. actually they turn out quite a bit better than using HP's paper, go figure.. the ilford classic and smooth pearl are just beautiful paper.. go ahead and pick up a box, you won't be disappointed..

for smaller pics.. i.e. 4x6 5x7.. i use redriver polar satin.. its not the equal of the ilford galerie.. but i find it to be a little better than the HP.. again, i just use the color profile for HP's premium plus..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:13 AM   #23

I agree with this view. The results on the Ilford Paper are slightly better than that with HP's own paper, although I must stress that we have tested HP's Premium Plus Glossy paper against Ilford's Classic Pearl paper and the difference in surface may have something to do with it.
We did not need any profile change; the profile for HP's premium plus paper works perfectly with the Ilford product.

If there is a tonal difference between the two papers, the HP's is quite neutral whilst the Ilford has a very slight green tinge to it which I actually prefer. Its only really noticeable on a side-by-side comparison.

I would say that the combination of the HP 8750 and Ilford Classic Pearl paper is the ultimate in b&w inkjet printing right now. Although I have not tested all the products out there, I cannot imagine it can get any better than this. My only concern being with the fragility of the print when moisture is involved - this is important when prints are being sold.

PS. I think "Gobsmacked" in English is "blown - away" in American!
(Buy lots of spare cartridges - they don't last long. About thirty 8"x10" b&w prints is all the Photo Gray Cartridge can produce).
TooBizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 2:48 AM   #24

Will longevity still be the same on the Ilford papers?

Incidentally for those in the UK that might be looking for the HP A3+ branded papers, I found one site (and I am absolutely not affiliated with them, just helping others seeking paper) that has current stock. www.wehavethings.com. I do not know if they ship to the rest of the EU or not.

Jonathan
jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:18 AM   #25

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to get the Ilford Classic Pearl (I'm pretty sure it's a swellable paper, which may explain why it works well) and look into the Red River as well. Looking forward to being gobsmacked soon!

Ray
Old May 27, 2005, 12:03 AM   #26
Super Moderator

hey flint,

the ilford classic paper is a swellable.. they also make a non-swellable paper called their smooth line (i.e. smooth pearl)..

the red river paper can be found here (www.redriverpaper.com).. i can't recommened it enough.. good value and a great customer support and shipping.. they have plenty of grades of paper at many pricing levels... and in general i have found them all to be top-notch.. but my favorite is the polar satin and polar gloss as they offer image permanence enhancement (via swellable i believe)..

enjoy your prints.. dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 2:52 PM   #27

Is it possible to buy Ilford paper through a retail outlet ( if so where?) or do you have to buy it on line.

thanks

tonyM
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:33 PM   #28

Don't know about other areas, but here in the Baltimore - Washington area Penn Camera carries it and a few other places I've seen. Otherwise, it's probably simple enough to order online.

Ray
Old May 29, 2005, 2:55 PM   #29

Could someone explain what "swellable" and "non-swellable" papers are?
I have not heard these descriptions before. Do they effect the archival properties of the image?

Thanks
TooBizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:11 PM   #30

As simply put as possible - in general there are two types of inks in use and two types of photo paper surfaces. The inks are pigment-based (for porous papers) and dye inks (for "swellable" papers.) The difference is in the way the paper coating (not the paper itself) deals with the ink put on it. In swellable paper, the coating actually has the ability to "swell" 2 or 3 times its original thickness to better absorb and actually encapsulate the ink. It makes for a tacky image initially, but when dry, makes for a fade resistant image.

Pigment inks are used on porous papers, whose coatings are made with fine particles glued together, leaving pores in between. This makes for much faster printing and drying which is usually why Epsons are faster and drier than HP's. There are other factors involved, but that is the best way I can describe the difference in paper coatings porous vs. swellable.

Ray