Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:27 PM   #41

I have been using the Ilford Smooth Pearl for the past few weeks with my HP 8750 and have not had any problems with the prints not drying. They seem fine within seconds of coming off the printer though I don't stack them for several minutes just in case. I like the feel of the Ilford paper much better than the HP Premium Plus papers. Actually I wouldn't mind the HP paper so much if I could find the Soft Gloss paper without a perforated tab!
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:17 PM   #42

MaryMac, not sure what you mean by perforated tab? I get 8.5x11 sheets of HP soft gloss and they don't have any tabs. Also, you might want to consider longevity of the prints. HP claims long life if you use their papers but I don't know what the print life is with other brands of paper.

David.

David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:47 PM   #43

Definitely true about the longevity - it's uncertain. The tabs I'm talking about are on the 4x6 HPPP Soft Gloss. I haven't used the HPPP 8.5x11 - does it have the same rough texture on the back that the 4x6 does?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:53 PM   #44

Marymac, I'm pretty sure its the same texture on the back -- a bit like my cat's tougue, but not as rough. ha.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:40 PM   #45

Hi Marymac

Can you please try this test for me with your Ilford Paper?

Take a reject print that you made, say a week or two ago and rub a white tissue over the image surface. What we have found is it releases a red dye onto the tissue, confirming that some red content within the dyes are not drying properly on that paper. In fact, if you wait a week for the prints to "dry" on the Ilford paper, and then stack them, you may still find this red colour on the reverse side of the prints that were in contact with the printed image.

Please try this, because if you are getting perfectly dry prints on the Ilford paper, then presumably there is something wrong with the humidity in our print room.

We do not experience this drying problem with the HP paper and the reason for the rough texture on the back of their product is to prevent inks migrating if they are stacked before they are completely dry.
TooBizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:24 PM   #46

Ok I tried the tissue test on a print I have at my desk on Ilford Smooth Glossy and no ink appears on the tissue. I don't have any prints at my office that I did on the Ilford Smooth Pearl but I will check it when I get home. However, I have many prints on the Smooth Pearl stacked in an envelope at home and have not seen any stickiness or red residue (or any color!) on the backs of my stacked prints. I will verify with the ticssue test when I get home though. Hope this helps - Mary

PS - I am in a very low humidity area, the San Francisco Bay Area, so I can't really say how a high humidity environment would affect the prints.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:10 PM   #47

Hi MarymacThanks for doing the little test.¬*¬*Your findings are confusing us. I have just taken a reject print that was made 3 months ago on Ilford smooth Pearl. Rubbing it with a white tissue still results in red staining on the tissue.¬*I am based in France, it is not that humid here and our offices are air conditioned which further dries the atmosphere. Can't understand it. Hope someone else has suggestions. The HP paper does not do this; it dries perfectly.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:24 AM   #48

TooBizy - I tested the Smooth Pearl last night and it passes the tissue test as well. If you like I can mail you these two 4x6 photos (one on Smooth Pearl and one on Smooth Glossy). Use PM to give me your address if you want me to send them. It's possible that when mine get there they will have the same problem if the humidity loosens the ink somehow. I know that the HP inks are not inherently waterproof....

Maybe you could try contacting Ilford support about this?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:33 PM   #49

Hi Marymac;Thanks for the offer of shipping us some prints. That's not necessary - I believe you totally. We have seen for ourselves how atmospheric conditions affect some aspects of inkjet printing, as we have offices in France and in Asia. We had a lot of problems in Asia with Ultrachrome inks in Epson printers. The heads constantly dry up and need replacing¬* - sometimes after only three or four days of use. We do not have this problem in France.We have not used the HP 8750 in Asia, in fact it is not even available in our area and this may have something to do with the inks not drying properly. Who knows?We are completely happy to work with HP papers so the Ilford paper issue is not one that is causing us any real problems. But it would be interesting to know what is going on.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:50 PM   #50

I'm a photography and printer newbie who has enjoyed these forums tremendously. I'd like to offer my recent experience of a comparison test between the HP8750 and the Canon i9900.

I assembled a group of large (3Mb) images from my recently purchased Canon EOS Digital Rebel (great camera!).Each imagechosen to highlight a specific thing: a sky picture to test the blues; a detailed marsh scene to test the clarity; a b&w print; a close-up of a face; a forest picture (lots of green); a picture of a several very colourful silk dresses.

I printed each pic on the highest quality photo paper I could find (8 1/2 X 11 and 11 X 17) and then comparied.

1. Both printers produce amazing output and I would (almost) be happy with either.

2. There is an occasional very small differences in picture reproduction thatseemed to favor the Canon. This was visible when looking at the smallest possible detail.

3. There is a slight difference in colour that (in my newbie and subjective judgment) seems to favour the HP.

Up to this point its, in my mind, a virtual dead heat. Then:

4. On 2 pictures that had a lot of sky at the top (an 8 1/2 X 11 and an 11 X 17) the Canon showed faint but umistakable horizontal lines that look like gaps in colour coverage between print head passes (I'm sure there's a technical term for this).

For me, that wasthe deciding factor. I can live with all of the other pluses and minuses of either of the two printers, but the rubber meets the road on the output.

I'll be returning the Canon and keeping the (monstrously large) HP8750.

Thanks for all of the great commentary on this site.

Alex

aglassey is offline   Reply With Quote