Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:09 PM   #51

I'm wondering if anyone's had this problem with an 8750 and HP's Premium Plus Super High Gloss paper (the REALLY glossy stuff).

The prints come out perfectly and most won't notice anything wrong at all. However, if I put the print under a very bright light and start moving it to look at the surface for how it reflects, there's a line about 3" from one end where the color isn't damaged at all, but you can see tiny marks where the paper doesn't reflect the same. I'm talking barely noticeable stuff and it's most noticeable if the color is very, very dark -- black, for example.

Like I said, you won't notice this with the color -- it's A-OK and just perfect. It's as if a wheel mars the paper as it feeds it in, scuffing the surface a touch just at one point across the page.

DS
bblive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:29 PM   #52

TooBizy, I just took a reasonably new print (an hour!) and examined it. I *just* bought some Ilford paper, and like others, I like the texture...but...

It had a small red mark that wiped right off. Since this screwed up the picture on the spot I took a tissue to it and wiped it -- red all over the tissue.

Now, granted, this is a very fresh print; however, this doesn't happen to HP papers within minutes of getting off the printer. Some may say that HP's insistence to use their papers might be a marketing ploy, but I think there is a real reason to.

Now, does anyone have that super-high-gloss issue I talked about above?

DS
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:11 AM   #53

bblive:

Sorry to hear you've been having the same problems as us with the Ilford paper, although I am somewhat re-assured that we are not the only ones that have noticed it.

I am interested to know where you are situated and if you have a particularly hot or humid climate. It is a mystery when others use the Ilford paper with the HP 8750 without problems. We are in the South of France which can get hot but is not unusually humid.

And yes, we have also noticed the faint "wheel track" in dark areas of the print, although this seems to be most visible when the print is wet; i.e straight out of the printer. This track line would not in itself prevent me from selling the print to a client, but one thing that has bothered us is the sensitivity of the image to moisture. We command quite high prices for our prints. I worry about selling a print that can "disolve" when the tiniest amount of moisture is in contact with the print surface. I hope that HP are addressing this problem because in my opinion it is a hindrance to the success of their products.

We have recently invested in an Epson 2400 and have switched to using that for our print sales because of the above mentioned problem. The 8750 remains in our studio as an easy-to-use printerfor quality prints for our in-house requirements.
TooBizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:18 AM   #54

Hi,

Humidity varies here, but I'd say we're average.

Frankly, I think it's just a problem with Ilford papers, and some aren't "stressing" the prints enough to notice. However, that said, it seems to be just a red thing and, if you go to your print a few days later and vigourously wipe it you can get rid of the excess and the print seems fine. On the other hand, you end up with a touch less red on the print.

Now, I'm using the Ilford paper for B&W prints, and it seems fine, although I did notice that what I call "hard black" areas (all black, no grey or otherwise) the "shimmer" wasn't quite even.

I'm also interested in the fact that you found the "wheel marks," too. I think this may well be the most glaring weakness to this printer because I can't believe that HP let that slip through. I was bothered enough that I had them send me another printer, and it does the exact same thing. Three printers, two here and one in France, hardly a defect.

The marks appear to be a combination of the gloss, which seems quite sensitive, and the wheels, which are hard. Illford matte paper doesn't show them, and I suspect that an HP matter paper wouldn't either, although I haven't found the Premium Plus matte paper yet.

As well, you can see the wheel marks when the print is fresh, but I bet if you take a print with a large amount of black on it and flicker it around the light you'll see it still. I do.

That said, the solution to ALL these problems seems to be what someone else mentioned uses on their prints -- Krylon Preserve It. A quick spray seems to make the print more durable to water and it takes away the wheel marks. However, life isn't 100% yet -- try spraying your print in a normal environment and NOT get dust on it. Eliminating dust is my next task!

DS