Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 16, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

I've had the 8750 for about 6 days and I've printed approx. 42 8.5 x 11prints of my art work and here is my verdict:

I honestly don't know how printer output canget any better than this!

The prints I'm making leave nothing to be desired in terms of richness, color, sharpness, gamut and saturation. Theprints coming out of this thingare simply gorgeous. The color management profile supplied by HPis spot on. It's so good that I don't even use the custom ICC profile from my ColorVision Photo Calibration because I don't see how I can improve on the output I'm getting.

In terms of ink consumption I've just about used up the tri color and grey color cart but the blue cart still has about half left.

I'm a happy camper.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

tmumolo

Glad to here that you are happy with your new printer.

I have some questions for you:

What papers have you tried with it? Are you only using HP paper right now?

How was setup with it? Was the software straight forward?

Have you tried any 4x6", 11x17", or 13x19" prints yet?

How is it speed wise?

Have you tried the water test on these prints?

Are the prints dry when they come out of the printer, or a bit tacky?

The reason I am asking, is that I am thinking of replacing my Canon I9100 printer soon. The printers that I am think of are the HP, Epson 1800, 2400, and the Canon I9910 (when and if it comes out).

I have been bitten by Epson in the past to many times, so they are in third right now. I am looking at the HP and the Canon.

Thanks

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i can replyto some of thequestionsas i have the 8450, which is basically the letter size version with 8 vs 9 inks.. (8750 wasnt around when i got mine)

1) i have used several paper makes for mine and it seems to do a pretty good job with most makes.. my favorite is by far ilfords classic pearl.. and i like to use polar satin by redriverpaper... the hp papers work well too, but i prefer the feel and texture of ilford and redriver better..

2)setup is very easy and straightfoward imo, i had good color management right out of the box as well..

3)speedwise it will lag behind the canon by some margin.. i would say color image quality is fairly comparable between the two..

4)...but it has photo grey ink cartrige which gives you plenty of shades of true grey to work with that simply make outstanding b&w prints..

5)prints are dry when they come out, but they will fail the water test...

so there are advantages and disadvantages to both.. i print alot of b&w prints so for me the 8450 (or the 8750)is the right choice as i am willing to deal with the slower speed.. if i were to only print color, i may have chosen the canon for its print speed... its really up to your intended use..

well i hope that answers a few of your questions..

regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:10 PM   #4

I got to borrow a used Epson 1280 to try out. I think 50% of my ink went to try to unclog the heads, 10% to color management, and yes, 40% to good prints! SO, I'm considering either the HP 8750or Canon 9900/9910. I like the Ilford classic pearl paper with the 1280.

For the HP, are icc profiles available/needed to get good color with the ilford paper? Do you have any comments on fade resistance of ilford+8750 inks? I have people wanting me to sell them some prints, but I'm nervous about selling something that could fade in a year or two. After using the Epson for a couple of months, I now apppreciate the new print head with each ink cartridge with the HP. If all else fails, about $30 fixes all print quality issues for a clogged cartridge. HP cartridges are $$$$, but so is head cleaning with the Epson.

Anybody else with Epson/Canon experiences making the move to the HP?

Thanks,

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

Well, my experience with the HP 8750 went from wonderful to mixed in a hurry. I shot an event and sold about 45 prints which I put thru the HP. As Tony said and as I have said before, the quality of the prints is stunning. However, my particular printer was very very picky about loading paper. It eventually (after about 6 or 7 prints) refused to load any paper at all, except thru the straigh-thru slot in the rear. Something physical was preventing the paper from being grabbed by the rollers and I got constant "out of paper" warnings when it was full.

I finally had to do all my prints one-by-one thru the rear on Monday and vowed to place a call to tech support today (Tues). After an online chat, they agreed my printer was mechanically flawed and are sending me a new one with promised delivery in 3-5 days. So, my frustration level was high, given all the work I had and the breakdown.

Still, it's a machine - and a new one at that (I got one of the 1st available for consumers), so I'm not totally surprised or even angry. Just tired!

For the other questions, the upside is gorgeous prints with stunning color and d-range. The downside is speed, limited size of ink carts and easily smeared/damaged inks if you don't spray or let them dry properly. I spray (Krylon Preserve It) and all photos passed the spit test. Plus, my clients were very happy with their prints. I'll withold final judgment until the new unit arrives and works properly for a bit.

By the way Tony, I was surprised to read in the other threads that you are an unethical paid shill of HP working undercover in here to steal away a precious few Epsonites for the HP coffers!! :lol: :lol: I guess you just aren't entitled to your own opinion unless someone else "allows" it and validates it.

Ray
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 7:50 PM   #6

Well.....when you start numerous threads and state the EXACT same things HP reps are told about individual inkl carts, and I know cause my best friend is a HP rep, one gets a bit suspicious. Also when you quote Spencer Labs which has been debunked as they are paid solely by HP to write their reviews. I have no problems with people's opinions or user experience, and I certainly don't mind HP products, but sometimes there's good reason to be suspicious. Anyways....I do enjoy reading your posts as they are quite informative and entertaining.
tyranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:55 PM   #7

Flint350

Ok, hereare a questions for you, since tmumolo won't answer.

How do you like the 13x19 prints from the HP?

What papers have you used, matte, luster, glossy? What manufactures?

Why I ask about the papers, is that I have found my Canon prints best with the Pictorico Gallery Glossy and the Epson Enhanced Matte papers. I just tried a new one, the Kodak Professional Glossy paper, and it came out really good. It was not as good as the Pictorico, but really close to the Canon papers. The matte papers have been putting out some nice prints to.

Currently I have been using the Canon I9100, and for the prints I have been spraying them with the Krylon Preserve It spray too. I found that it is best to let them sit for at least 24 hours before doing this.

Oh, Hards80, thanks for replying back to my post too.

Thanks

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:02 PM   #8

Speedie,

I love the quality of the photos I've gotten on all papers I've used. That includes the 2 versions of the 13X19 that HP includes with the printer (2 sheets photo-satin and 2 glossy). I'm not the biggest glossy fan so I liked the satin images best. The glossy are very nice also, I just prefer the matte-like satin finish better. I printed a portrait with heavy blacks fading from deep velvet reds and a girl's light skin tones. All the transitions were smooth and the overall vibrance and depth of color was exceptional. All who have seen them (both 13X19 satin and 11X17 glossy) said they were excellent. I also printed a highly detailed close-up in 13X19 of a Kookaburra bird and the colors are more browns, tans, off-whites, light blacks and blue hightlights. Same results - smooth and deep transitions and great detail and color.

As for manufacturers, I have only used the HP Premium Plus and HP Premium (4X6 only) papers, plus plain paper for alignment, etc. I want to try the Ilford papers and would like to find a few more arty papers (maybe pearl by Ilford) and see how it does, but for now, I'm waiting for a new machine. I hope that answers your questions.
Old May 18, 2005, 2:11 PM   #9

tyranix,

I understand your point, it is your delivery I disagree with. You can disagree with Tony (or me or anyone, of course), but I don't see the need to make accusations bordering on name-calling and suggesting deceitful motives by the poster.

You have no proof of any such connection and make several blanket statements (unproven to me) about "many pros debunking" and Spencer Labs "discredited", etc. You can find "many pros" on both sides of almost any brand loyalty issue like this (just do a Nikon vs. Canon search) and you can find cause to challenge Spencer or other labs (I've seen Wilhelm bashed also by those who disagree while others highly praise.) All of these 3 top brand printers are superb in their own way and all have issues.

Kindly allow for a difference of opinion without resorting to challenging someone's integrity with so little proof that it is so. That is what I took issue with, not your opinion.

Ray
Old May 18, 2005, 2:20 PM   #10

I been busy and just reviewed this thread today.

I haven't printed any 13x19's yet because I'm setting up an 8.5x11 sample book first. I haven't had any paper feed problems at all. I've only used the HP premium plus soft gloss and gloss papers.

The prints are a bit tacky out of the printer but after a few hours they seem dry although HP recommends drying for seven days before mounting behind glass or into an album. That being said I've put all my prints into a sample book inside plastic sleeves after overnight drying.

Set up was a breeze once HP tech supportfixedthe complete mess I made when I tried to clean up my computer with some optimizer software and wiped out some major operating stuff. They had to escalate me up to some higher echelon tech guy who worked his way through it with me. 31/2 hours later he fixed a problem I had created that had nothing to do with the printer or HP. They could have said, hey you messed it up and this has nothing to do with us but they didn't.

No I have not tried any kind of water test since I don't believe the prints are water resistant without a spray finish as Ray indicated. I bought the printer understanding that limitation. I don't have any other printer to compare speed to but I'm sure from what I've heard that it's middle of the road in that department. Any way you cut it, it's faster than going to the lab. Anyway speed was never a major issue with me. Professional quality was, and so far, it more than lives up to it's billing.

And of course I'm a shill for HP, I get a check in the mail every time I say something nice about them.

The only problem is I keep spending the money on HP supplies so they get it all back anyway.

As far as SpencerLab is concerned, I stumbled on there test reports through IT Enquirer so I guess their bothin HP's pocket. That being said,many Epson users confirmfrom experiencethe ink waste and clogging issues that SpencerLab tests reported.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote