Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old May 26, 2005, 1:50 AM   #1

I am considering buying an Epson 7600 so I can produce 20x30 prints. Has anyone had experience with this printer? It's a pretty big investment and I would hate to get burned.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:04 AM   #2

Why don't you try the HP designjet 130. Smaller investment, great A1+ photo printer.
Semmes to be faster and print photo on standard paper either, compared to Epson.
I own the previous designjet 120. Can't say what is better on the 130 apart from the A2+ sheet feeder instead of the A3+ on the 120.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the Design Jet.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:34 PM   #4

i havent seen a hp inkjet product in the same class as the epson photo printers perform adequately in comparison. the the 7800 (replacement to the 7600) has a 2880x1440 print head vs 2400x1200 of the hp. there has been an improvement in its B&W capabilities too. 6 color vs 8 color. hp is a dye based ink vs pigment on epson. i can continue because there are more subtle differences in addition to these.

the cartridges on the hp are small at 69ml at approx $30 ea

the 7600 can use both dye and ultrachrome pigments. each cartridge is 110ml at $56ea

7800 is about the same for ink as the 7600 and accepts 110 and 220 sized carts the 220 being about $90 per cart
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the comparisons. I am pretty much an Epson fan anyway but I thought I would be open minded and at least check out HP:idea:

I have been impresses with the data at the Epson site but i could be biased. My experience with Epson support for my R300 has been excellent. HP I'm not sure of since I don't own amything other that am HP scanner that has never required support.

I really like the flexibility of the Epsons when it comes to paper and ink.

Any idea about durability? I plan to produce all of my own prints for customers and need something that is going to be very dependable and durable.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:49 PM   #6

people run the 7600 commercially that means 10-12 hrs a day. its no toy. not a hobbiest printer either unless you you have the money to invest
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:41 PM   #7

Good point.

I've actually started a photography business and people like my prints (Epson velvet fine art) better than what they can get most places. I plan to do a lot of printing and will have, in the next few weeks, the money to invest in a high end printer. Sounds like the Epson will meet my needs.

I especially like doing B&W prints on the Velvet Fine Art paper. The contrast is great and there is just something about them that makes them stand out from the rest.

I have actually had people come back to me after proving all of the images on CD because thye weren't impressed with the prints for One-Hour photo or wherever they go them. I plan to do prints for people and I really think offering this type of paper is going to be one of my major selling points.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:38 AM   #8

definately invest in the 7800 then.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:26 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice.

I truly trust the folks on this forum.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:50 PM   #10

I wouldn't "trust" anyone but yourself! As has been said before, if Epson always got it right, then all of the other manufacturers would be out of business (at least as far as printers go).

There seems to be something of an "Epson" religion going on. Its almost as if Epson can do no wrong. The new releases do have good colour, good B&W, and as always, a good choice of papers and fade resistancy.

The fact is, Epson do have excellent products, but they do not have perfect products.

If you intend to use matt and glossy black inks with a 7800, you should be advised that there is a considerable amount of ink consumed during the change. See reference

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...4800-1st.shtml

Rumour speculates that Epson will release a new set of printers that hold 9 inks and make everyone upgrade again...but it is just that, a rumour.

I am not suggesting you choose any other product instead. I just feel you should do your own research with a view specific to your needs and not others. Remember a product owner/fan will find it extremely difficult to be unbiased in any opinion they give.

Jonathan

jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote