Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1

For those of you who have this printer, I have a question.

I want this printer primarily for photo printing, but I would also like to occasionally use it for printing large format items such as a 4-page newsletter. This newsletter would be printed on 11x17 paper (doubled-sided) and then folded in half.

My question is that Steve's review of this printer implies that the printer can do automatic double-sided printing, but HP's web site says no.

If the printer can't automatically do double sided printing, then what are the options i the driver for? Is there a manual alternative?

I was considering the HP 9800d which DOES do automatic double-sided printing, but it is NOT the quality photo printer that the 8750 is.

Thanks!
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:53 AM   #2

The duplexing "feature" is software driven whereby you print out all the odd page numbers first, put the paper stack back in the in paper tray, and print out the even pages on the already printed stack.

This printer does not have a true auto duplexing feature. As you mentioned you will need to consider the deskjet or officejet printers for that feature, at the expense of Photoret Pro printing.

Jonathan
jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:51 AM   #3

Jonathan,

Thank you for the informative reply. In practice, how well does this work? Do you know if the printer has problems feeding paper that has already been printed on one side?

Thanks.

Jay

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:24 PM   #4

I cannot comment on the reliability of this because I do not use this feature. I like to keep the use of my photo printer separate from my text printer, and have a separate text only printer that has a proper duplexer built-in.

I have not seen any paper feed problems under normal use, and I would not have thought this manual duplex process should be any problem for reliability, except human error! (e.g putting the stack in upside down etc)

Jonathan
jonstatt is offline   Reply With Quote