Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:15 PM   #11

The new printers are a semi-continuation of the i9900. They are now labeled as PIXMA PRO products. They are designed with the professional in mind. The 9000 still has 8 dye-based colors (similar to i9900) but will support many more paper types and sizes. The 9500 is pigment-based inks and there are 10 colors! (an additional matte black and grey)

widespread2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:59 PM   #12
Administrator

Here's the PMA press info for the new Pixma PRO series of printers:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...xmapro_pr.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:01 PM   #13

Can't wait for the review, Steve.
jdryyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:25 AM   #14

I have two questions ....Does anyone have an idea on the price of the 9000 or 9500? I saw a european site that stated thatthe 9500 would be at 700+ euros and avaiable in the fall.

I was just about to purchase the i9100 when they announced the new printers. The 9500 is appealing because of the additional black inks for B&W printing. How does the i9100 print in B&W? Any feedback is welcome.
Rickbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:09 AM   #15

The prices for the new PIXMA PRO 9000 and 9500 are still TBD, as is their release date. This information was taken from the Canon employees at PMA. Since the PRO 9000 is a direct replacement for the i9900, I can only bet that the price will be similar ($499 USD).

The i9100 uses all its colors to create a composite black and is the best way to achieve black and white prints, but that also means that it is not a pure black and white print. (Same for the i9900 and new PRO 9000)

Hope this helps!
widespread2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:18 PM   #16

I have the i9900 and it is terrible at BW's. They have a brownish color cast since they are not printed with the black ink but a combination of the others. I got my eyes on the new 9500.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:19 AM   #17

Before you set your sights on the i9900 or it's replacement read my story. I replaced my s9000, which just plain wore out, with the i9900. It was the most awful printer I have ever received. I had read too many positive reviews and also a sutido pro friend of mine rates his highly, for it to be a poor quality printer. I had smuges and yellow stripes and green/black pools of ink on my prints. I requested an exchange from newegg.com, who, in spite of their 30 day exchange warranty (which was shown with the printer offering) would not accept it back and refered me to Canon. After several emails with Canon and suppling them with not only the answers they requested but an example of the poor print quality; I have had no reply. I emailed newegg.com and asked their help in this matter. Not hearing from newegg.com or Canon for several days I sent the printer back without a RMA and applied to have VISA reverse the charge which they refuse to do. Now I have to start a "Small Claims" lawsuit to get my money back. Get an Epson.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 10:37 AM   #18

Wow, I have never heard anything like it. You must have had a lemon. Or did you use generic inks? They will deteriorate your print quality and at some point ruin your printhead. Trust me, I know. I went through 3 or 4 printheads in a little more than a year. All gneric ink brands would throw off the color balance, then createbanding and finally destroy the head. From my experience the Canon Service was outstanding. The Service Center took in my printer even without a receipt and entered an "approximate" purchase date, which was actually over 6 months after my actual purchase, thereby giving me an extra 6 mos. of warranty. Then they replaced the printhead 3 times (!), possibly 4, for free! This is spite of me letting them know that I had been using generic inks. Each time arep called me back after the repair to ensure that I received outstanding customer service. Ever since ditching generics and only usinggenuine Canon cartridges, the print quality has been perfect and consistent. I cannot praiseCanon's service highly enough just as the print quality (with the use of the genuine Canon inks) is absolutely stunning.

Sorry about the bad experiences you've have, jjonsalt, but you are a very rare exception, not the norm, and your experiences certainly do not reflect upon the overall quality of this printer or Canon's customer service.

Here is a 3.5x5 print scanned in on my $40 Scanport 3000 scanner, resized to fit here. This printer is almost two years old, has been heavily used and I never paid a dime in repair costs. Not as awful as you might think...

BUT BEWARE OF GENERICS INKS!!! They WILL ruin your printhead. And yes, I read the forums and Neil Slade's columns, etc. But I learned my own lessons...

Since you have had your issues within the first 30 days, you probably were using the original Canon inks, and your printer must have been a lemon as I stated before. You most certainly should have received a free replacement, and this is more of an warranty issue and service issue, but should not be considered a review of this printer. Personally I have been very satisfied with a) the printer, b) Canon's service, c) and Newegg (which I used for several other purchases). Seems like you had bad luck, and I am sorry it had to escalate to this. They should have just switched it out for you.

Here is the scan:

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Attached Images

Old May 28, 2006, 11:43 AM   #19

I did use the Canon ink caretriges supplied with the new printer. However, I though perhaps the green and/or black cartridges were the problem so I did replace them with Staple's brand of cartridge will no noticeable difference (prints still sucked). While I do understand my experence was a limited one with i9900 buyers I am very disappointed with newegg.com (who I have used several times over the years) and Canon's service. In the last email from Canon I was asked to download a photo file from their website and process it with Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint program and let them know what it looked like. I scanned it and sent it to Canon for them to decide how it looks. I haven't heard from them since. I attach the subject photo for your consideration.
Attached Images

jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 1:47 PM   #20

Oh, yeah, you got a banding problem. That's what my prints looked like each time before I needed a new printhead. Even Deep Cleaning cycles would not handle it. Have you tried running the Cleaning and Deep Cleaning cycles repeatedly? If that does not do the trick, definitely have Canon replace the printhead for you. Have you tried a local service center? They are very customer service oriented. See, each Contract Service Center is being monitored by Canon. Canon Corporate calls each customer after you visit one of their contracted service centers to ensure you were satisfied, so they try extra hard to keep the Canon contract and please you.Try visiting your local Service Center, and they should replace the printhead for you if cleaning cycles don't handle the problem. And then stick wiht Canon inks. I tried many generic inks, and while the colors seem fine for graphics, they do mess up the color balance in high resolution photos. Especially the photo cyan tends to lean toward green with almost all generics I tried, but more importantly they'll clog up your printhead and you will get pictures just like the one you displayed after a few hundred prints.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries