Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:03 PM   #1

I am planning on replacing my old Canon S9000 by the end of the year.I was planning on purchasing a Canon i9900, but I would like to know ifa replacement for the I9900 is in the near future?Also, can someone please tell me why Canon (USA Models) do not offer directCD/DVD printing?I have written severalĀ* e-mails to Canon about this over the past year and neverreceived a response.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:14 PM   #2

I love the i9900 but I think there must be something on the horizon to replace it, especially with the advent of the ChormaLife 100 inset and no wide format that can utilize it. Incidentally, Lyson makes a bulk continuous feed system for the i9900 which uses their Fotonic inks. From what I've been told, they are slightly wider in gamut and considered archival, FWIW. I'm very tempted tp try the system but I'd like to hear from others who have first.
orussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:17 PM   #3

I too think that a new wide format printer has to be coming out someday soon. I think there are three printers that have yet to be replaced and the 9900 is one of those. There was about 6 weeks between the first batch and the second batch of new printers, so it was logical that the last three printers would be about 6 weeks after the second batch and include a new wide format printer. That day has come and gone. I heard a rumor that Canon was not going to replace the 9900 this year. I am starting to think that is true. :sad:

I have allowed prints from the 6 series of inks to set out under flourescent light and after about6 months they are faded to the point that you can see it easily. I understand that it is better under glass, but I don't believe the current series 6 inks are acceptable (even though I own a printer with series 6 inks that only prints A4).

If a replacement for the 9900 doesn't come out soon, I will have to consider the HP DJ30.

Does anybody know anything about a new printer?
BHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:37 PM   #4

Canon inkjet printers in the USA do not print on cds for licensing issues. Phillips owns the patent. There are cd trays that you can purchase on ebay along with instructions on how to program the multifunctions machines to activate that feature.

Canon inkjets in other markets (Japan, Europe, Latin America, Middle-East, etc.) do have the capability to print on cds.
widespread2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5

It looks like Canon is finally going to replace the i9900, it's no longer listed on Canon's USA web site. No mention of the replacement.
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:46 PM   #6

Canon COULD use the print head (9600dpi) off their other machines, chuck out the existing 4800dpi head in the i9900, and call it the "i9900 PLUS."

An inexpensive upgrade (or what they should have done in the first place).

More inks?
Good grief!
Can a human eye see any REAL difference from CYMK?

How about bigger and less expensive CYMK ink tanks?
Y4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:17 PM   #7

I am interested in this as well, I was about to purchase a I9900 but am now trying to decide if I should wait, anyone have any thoughts about this.
slick813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:55 PM   #8

terryt is corect that it is no longer on their website but oddly enough they have not removed the 4000, 5000, 4000r, or multi-functions of the same generation.

I am considering the 9900 for photos and 11x17 CAD drawingsbut will wait to see what transpires.

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:35 AM   #9

Here is what everybody has been waiting for: http://www.outbackphoto.com/
terry t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:40 PM   #10

I could be wrong, but are either of those new Canon printers listed on that site a direct continuation of the i9xx product line?

jdryyz is offline   Reply With Quote