Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:05 AM   #1

Just wanted to know if anyone would guide me in regards to a wise decision of a Wide format printer. I have been looking researching some wide printers of 40" -44" but can't seem to make up my mind. Apparently everyone makes 'the best one around" and i do know that some have trade ups for others. So i will give you all the details of my future venture: i intend on using a wide format printer for full color banners, full color logos on adhesive backed vinyl affixed to acrylic plastic for lighted sign boxes. I would like to also perhaps do some menus and full color printing directly on magnetic material for business cards. I really don't know if i'm asking for too much but hope to get the most out of my money. I currently do neon and lighted signs but i would like to get into this new field of wide format printing without spending a gajillion bucks. I do realize that "you get what you pay for" but i don't want to get over my head as well. Next i am so confused about RIP's and how expensive they are! Can someone also direct me on this as well. I would really appreciate this, as you all can see i am in need of some desperate help. Thanks, Savier.
savier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2

Epson does not make much for that media type.
Check encad http://www.encad.com/
They make both printers and media for several other manfacturers printers.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3

savier wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to know if anyone would guide me in regards to a wise decision of a Wide format printer. I have been looking researching some wide printers of 40" -44" but can't seem to make up my mind. Apparently everyone makes 'the best one around" and i do know that some have trade ups for others. So i will give you all the details of my future venture: i intend on using a wide format printer for full color banners, full color logos on adhesive backed vinyl affixed to acrylic plastic for lighted sign boxes. I would like to also perhaps do some menus and full color printing directly on magnetic material for business cards. I really don't know if i'm asking for too much but hope to get the most out of my money. I currently do neon and lighted signs but i would like to get into this new field of wide format printing without spending a gajillion bucks. I do realize that "you get what you pay for" but i don't want to get over my head as well. Next i am so confused about RIP's and how expensive they are! Can someone also direct me on this as well. I would really appreciate this, as you all can see i am in need of some desperate help. Thanks, Savier.
I would suggest you research solvent based ink printers. They are really used for outdoor signs and strange media. They are more permenant against the elements. Epson is more like printing with watercolor. You have to seal it behind liquid laminate or frame it behind glass to get any kind of permenance from it. I don't think that's what you are looking for. Definitely research solvent inks for banners. Unfortunately solvent inks are toxic, so you will also be setting up an air ventilation and cleaning system. chacha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote