Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:20 AM   #1

I am a new owner of a canon i9900 printer. I want to know how to get the most out of this printer.

Recently, I printed out some posters from quark 6.5, photoshop cs2, and indesign cs2. I printed the several different ways. I allowed photoshop to control the color. I allowed the printer to control the color. I tried several other things. I don't think that my results are getting the most out of the printer.

My posters are text based typographic posters; however, I will also be printing photobased imagery as well.

I bought the Canon papers in hopes that it would help. Canon photopaper pro matte finish did not print very nicely and this is probably do to my inexperience. I have photo paper pro semigloss but have not printed with it after the experience with the matte. My problem was that darker colors printed horribly and did not render the text at all because the amount of ink released onto the print caused puddling. I noticed that on lighter colors it seems to print better. Is this because the colors are simpler for the printer to generate?

I have been choosing pantone colors. Is this causing the problem? Should I choose rbg, cymk, or what? (I have a powerbook g4 macintosh).

Should I let photoshop or something else handle color management?

If some people could help me figure out how I can print text better on this printer PLEASE HELP ME! (begging).
Lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:11 PM   #2

Silly question, but have you set the printer to its highest quality in printer control?

Adobe PageMaker and even MS Word makes outstanding prints combining text and graphics as long as you have set the i9900 to high res output.

Properly set up PS CS2 makes absolutleystunning prints also.

For beginners and new owners such as my students, I found printing using Canon's Easy Photo Print (set to highest quality) that comes with the printer produces outstanding, photo-lab output. Save your graphic file to a supported format (e.g., .jpg), then print it from Easy Photo Print.

Personally, I generally leave settings at RGB Color, unless I am going to a specialty/professional printer and/or Pantone certified printer/inks or have other "esoteric" needs.

Finally, Qimage http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/(supported in Steve's forums) can do wonders for you!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:09 PM   #3

Thank you for replying to me. I was wondering if anyone would. I am going to go and try what you recommended now.

Yesterday I talked to adobe and canon and of course they both said to talk to the other company because it is not their fault.

The canon guy told me to try using the color sync on my mac. I didn't even know that I had this. It is amazing how much there is to know in this field.

I'll write back and tell you how that went.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:32 PM   #4

I just printed on photo paper pro with the settings that you recommended. I let photoshop determine colors. I set it on adobe rgb (1998). There are several rgb options: color match rgb, working rgbiec61966, and srgb. Do you know what these are? Also, what are canon mp1, canon pr1, canon pr2, and canon sp1? Do you know what all this means?

I just want to be a great printer.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:34 PM   #5

Buy the way, the prints did come out nicer. They were great. The color was a lot better. There was no runniness like that I experienced with canon semigloss paper. Now if only I can print a semigloss.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:22 PM   #6

When you are dealing with colorspace and profiling, there are reams of hard-to-wade-through articles and books written on the subject.

Two books, though, seem to be most liked by my students Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Press and The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers edited by Scott Kelby. Both, and many others, are available at http://www.adobepress.com/, Adobe Press. There are a hundred others that could be recommended! To save money, a well-stocked public library is suggested! Also, you could glean a lot of information by searching the Web.

Tech Corner here on Steve's Digicamshttp://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/tc_index.htmlhas a lot of information (see the goodFebruary and June 2005 articles there, for example) and there are many tutorials at many different photography sites that will help answer your questions.

Hope this helpsanswer some of your questions.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote