Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

Right now, the only printer I really know about is the Canon i9900. What are my options with regards to mid/wide format printers for my office?

We want the best quality with the lowest cost (doesn't everyone?)

We will be using the printer for comps of cards, books, cds etc... so it needs to be versitile.

Which printers have the best ink cost? Which printers support the best papers?

Thanks in advance.
scopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:53 PM   #2

Taken from Epson's Brochures...

Premium Glossy Photo Paper 85 years color, > 135 years BW
Premium Luster Photo Paper 71 years color, > 95 years BW
Premium Semimatte Paper 67 years color, > 76 years BW
Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper 108 years color > 205 years BW
Somerset Velvet for Epson 62 years color > 90 years BW
Somerset Premier Art /Prem Art Spray 166 years color > 312 years BW
Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper 61 years color > 115 years BW
Epson Velvet Fine Art with Prem Art Spray 82 years color, >178 years BW
Enhanced Matte Paper 76 years color, > 110 years BW
Premier Are Water Canvas 75 years color, >150 years BW...

If the prints only last one half of the ratings I would be happy!!

Epson is the 'artsy' printer of choice, it doesnt take away from the HP.

I own a 4800 Pro Stylus, and r1800 and have access to a HP8750.

The Epson with the new K3 Ultrachrome inks and the 3 blacks are very, very good on the widest variety of papers.

Also the prnter drivers are more versatile than Canon or HP. Prints up to 129" long, wheras the Canon and HP are limited to approx 24 inches.

If you really want an HP printer look at the Designjets, they will allow for longer prints. If you want to stay at the A3 13 x 19 size printer the Epson R2400 would be the printer to look at , the R1800 will not handle the really think fine are papers..and canvas stock. The R2400 will easily. The R1800 has only 2 black inks the R2400 has 3 and a photp black and a matte black in that are changed out depending on what your printing on...glossy, semi-gloss or luster vx the fiberous cotton fine art papers.

Note: You will also find lots of 3rd party fine art paper profiles for Epson and the cloggin issues common with earlier generations of pigment printers is a thing of history, not speaking from hearsay, but from what I own, use and experience...

All the Best

Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:53 PM   #3

For me the best type was HP designjet 30 or 130, I had been used it more than a years, never get any problem. ... Never change the printhead even I used not the orginal HP ink. The CLOSED LOOP COLOR CALIOBRATION was very help for give the true Black & White also smooth skin tone color.

Regards

ANTHONIUS
ANTHONIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:42 AM   #4

If A3+ is all you need and not something more, the Canon i9900 or what will be the next (since Canon repalces its line with better but more expensive ink).
The reason is they are way faster with perfect result with cheaper ink.
HP is getting closer to the speed of Canons, but everything else is worse except ink resistance to water and timer which can be better in HPs.
Epson is simply too slow and results aren't that great. Ink is supposed to last much longer and to be waterproof in most cases.
Paper quality is the most part of the ink resistance. This is mostly unknown. So any ink can get better resistance on better papers. Better means in this case means to follow what the maker of the printer suggest.

When printing a full A3 in 3 minutes at the highest quality (difference with normal printing seen on microscope on special papers) on a i9900 expect the nearest result on the fastest Epsons at around 30 minutes. You will probably only need the one minute and a half normal quality on the Canon.
Epson will never make the gap with Canon because of his technology, based on mechanics only. Only HP can make the gap because they use the same kind of technology as Canon, but they do not have such plants to build the same heads as canon on a large scale (only used for expensive wide carriage plotters by HP).
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:02 AM   #5

What? You say the Epsons prints are not that great! I sold my Canon 9900 and bought the R2400,and I am glad I did! I have the same pictures done with both printers,and I will tell you the Epsons are far nicer.The 9900 is a little more vibrant,but are not as realistic.The 9900 is a good printer,but it is using older ink technology.
jeepers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:11 PM   #6

This is absolutely bogus and crap...

The latest Epsons r1800, 2400, 4800 all print less than 30 minutes!!!

The 9900 canon is spec'd at 84 seconds for a 8 x 10 and 6 minutes for a 13 x 19 print.

The R1800 prints a 8x 10 in around 3 minutes, yes slower but not anywhere near 30 minutes!! A 13 x 19 in HIGH Qual mode is approx 6 minutes, still twice as long as the Canon i9900, but again nowhere near 30minutes!!

the older (1998 vintage) Epson 2200 is SLOW and has been replaced by the 2400 Epson..

The epson prnt technology and its driver is way more versatile that Canon's technology...from available papers, paper thickneww, driver adjustment etc..

Print time is not everything...

Be careful what you compare!

Alex

adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7

Scopa

With the info that you have given, the only wide format printer that will print on CD is the Epson R1800. The other printers in this class do not have the ability to do this. The drawback to this printer might be its robustness. If you do alot of printing, it might not last. It is made to be used by consumers, not a heavily used office.

If you are selling this material to customers, then you would not want the Canon I9900. It is a great printer, but the prints just won't last. My old printer is the Canon I9100, and print fading was a problem. I used original Canon ink, with Canon papers along with other papers for dye ink. The prints just would not last unless they were kept in a dark area.

The only other option my be the Epson 2400. This is a Pro model and made to be used more heavily. It does cost more, but the prints are amazing. It is the most flexable on papers when compared to the ones mentioned above. It can not print on CD, so that does not work for you. It will do everything else that you mentioned, and more. This is my photo printer now, and am very glad that I went to it. The colors are way better on this Epson than on the Canon. I never noticed that until I put the same print next to each other and the Epson just blew it away. It is also very good on ink too.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:41 PM   #8

Okay. You're maybe right about Epson. But I tryed Epson until 2100 and 2200 and gave up. The speed they used to spec on their printers was a mixture between lowest qualitywith best speed put together with best quality and those 30 minutes they never admit.
I have been told new series are at about twice the speed. As they were at some 1/10th of Canon speed which isn't much better now, maybe they came closser at 1/5th. And YES this is a bit of a difference. i don't print one picture a day. mybe you do but many don't. I do need speed and people that never used to print photos should take care of that as this is the greatest problem provided you have quite the same quality on any photo printer (and I consider the 8 ink Canon to be among the best).

Now the Canon i9950 is doing A3 sheets (I didn't test A3+) so 11x17 inches at best quality in 3 minutes (I did test !!!) and some 100 seconds for something that looks the same to me (standard photo quality) so twice faster. I think there are 4800 dpi 8 colors photo ink for 3 minutes and "only" 2400 at twice the speed.
Franky, adydula, your color problem cannot be related to Canon about "realistic" or "unrealistic" but on how you configure your scans and prints on your monitor. If one's willing to print best quality large carriage photos, one must expect getting them not just out of the box. You were lucky about your colors on your Epson as weren't with your Canon. Everybody knows that ICM and iRGB aren't safe standards.

I found that some standard features on Epson will provide only "enough" quality to provide speed. This is a trick. Go to wherever you find an advanced pannel and force the driver to print to highest level of dots per inch, you're see what i am talking about when saying 30 minutes against 3 minutes !!!

Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:40 AM   #9

Speedie wrote:
Quote:
Scopa

With the info that you have given, the only wide format printer that will print on CD is the Epson R1800. The other printers in this class do not have the ability to do this. The drawback to this printer might be its robustness. If you do alot of printing, it might not last. It is made to be used by consumers, not a heavily used office.

If you are selling this material to customers, then you would not want the Canon I9900. It is a great printer, but the prints just won't last. My old printer is the Canon I9100, and print fading was a problem. I used original Canon ink, with Canon papers along with other papers for dye ink. The prints just would not last unless they were kept in a dark area.

The only other option my be the Epson 2400. This is a Pro model and made to be used more heavily. It does cost more, but the prints are amazing. It is the most flexable on papers when compared to the ones mentioned above. It can not print on CD, so that does not work for you. It will do everything else that you mentioned, and more. This is my photo printer now, and am very glad that I went to it. The colors are way better on this Epson than on the Canon. I never noticed that until I put the same print next to each other and the Epson just blew it away. It is also very good on ink too.

Bill
As far as I can remember the Canon i9950 issold with a CD tray in the package (or it might be compatible with the one delivered withthe i865).

However, don't ask me why, Canon sells the same models as in Europe with the same (IP series)or quite the same (i séries)name as in Europe but lacking the CD Tray and blocking the printers from using any.