Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:33 PM   #1

Here is a query and a response received from ‘HP Presales' this week.

[align=left]· Dear HP
1) I am looking to buy the HP 8750 photo printer. Various reviewers state that, even when dry, the prints produced are sensitive to damp, smearing even if touched by a moist finger. Can you offer a solution to this problem?
2) I would appreciate receiving a sample print produced by this printer.
[/i][/align]

[align=left]· Thank you for contacting HP.
In response to your query about the Photosmart 8750, it is not possible for us to send you sample prints from this printer. However in response to the smearing comments, as long as you use the HP Inks and Papers there should be no problem with this.
[/i][/align]
Is it possible that the wet smearing comments have been overdone? Has anyone tried a wet finger on a HP Premium Photo Paper print after the (incredibly long) recommended curing time of one week?
alzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:07 PM   #2

Hello,

I hate to harp on this, lots of posts about HP printers and ink/paper combinations.

I have gone to a local CompUSA and 8750 sample easily smear with a moistened finger tip.

They are no laminating the print samples, hmmm wonder why?

If you stay with the HP papers and inks this is an issue, you can try other papers that are more resitant to this smearing stuff....but the archivalness then is a possible concern.

many will argue that this is not an issue at all...

all the best
Alex
adydula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3

Thanks Alex,

I too have noticed that HP now laminate their display samples, which does suggest they're not up to rough handling. However once fully dry they do seem to havesome smear resistance, see for instance a post in the Photo-i forum (www.photo-i.co.uk).
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:18 PM   #4

alzs,

What baffles me is why even put up with this??

THe HP 8750 is a nice printer, but it has so many up front limitaitons and issues, wny not get a great new Epson R2400.

You get one of the widest choices of papers from Epson and many third party paper vendors.

The inks dry fast, and are water resistant.

The printer driver will allow you to prints panoramics out of the box 13 x 44" and even longer to 129" with QIIMAGE etc..

I have a R1800 and a 4800 Pro Stylus and have never resented making these purchases.

Endless combinations of papers, thin, thick, canvas, fine art, glossy, semi-matte, and on and on and on.,,

All the best with your quest!

Alex

Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

Alex

Yes the Epson R1800 is high on my list - did you ever have a nozzel block? If so was it obvious or could a poorly performing nozzel just give you a colour cast?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6

Hello Again...

I have not had any real problems with the R1800, even sitting there for several days, I have done several nozzle checks in the last fe months, one nozzle chcek did have a slightly poor printout and I did follow up with the automatic cleaning, since then its fine.

Even if i do not print on it everyday I turn the prnter on and off a few times during the week so it cycles thru the powerup cycel etc..

I have gone thru 3 inksets with the printer a few hundred prints of all sizes.

I would not hesitate to buy this printer again.

There are so many more positives compared to the other printers in this price range.

Lots of other good printers out there, but this is the best ALL around printer in this size/price range for sure...

Good Luck with your choice!

Alex

Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:29 PM   #7

Thanks Alex
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:37 PM   #8

alzs,

Why dont you request the 2 13 x 19" prints from HP and try the water test yourself?

Alex

Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

Alex,

I did but they decined to send them!

Alzs

Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:01 PM   #10

I have smearing problem in spades w/ vivera (black ink only) on a hp 3310.color ink is ok. ink smears even after 11 months. some returned mail envelopes smeared so bad that print is all but eligible. am now on third chartridge and have used various papers w/ no impact on the smearing.

hp changed out my 3310 to try to solve the problem -- no improvement at all. also some of the copied instructions enclosed w/ the new printer also smeared!!!!!

i have since talked w/ hp management help desk - 1 877 917 4380 - who claim they are not aware of problem but said they would pass on to engineering. also said that ink is water based so slight problems could occur.

i truly can't beleive that hp produced a new improved ink that has a completly unacceptable problem.

i am now looking for a refiller that may be using a different formulation. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Lin2 is offline   Reply With Quote