Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Wide Carriage Inkjet

Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:50 AM   #1

I want to print photoshop images on Epson paper using a Canon i9900. Why? Because Epson offers so many more sizes of paper and the cost is lower.

But I can't get true black and white on Epson paper from the Canon. An image that prints in true black and white on my dinky old Epson or my Lexmark printer comes out maroon and white when printed on Epson heavyweight matte paper on my Canon i9900. It's the same image -- it just prints differently from different printers -- so it's not a monitor calibration issue or a color setting in Photoshop issue.

I really want to be able to print out black and white images with this printer, and I don't want to have to chuck all the Epson photo paper I have and spend lots of money on Canon paper.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

bj9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:21 AM   #2

BJ9900

It will be hard to get true B&W from the Canon I9900 due to it only having one Black color. It will still use the colors to make the B&W image. Just to let you know, your printer will still not print a true B&W on Canon paper.

The best way that I know will be to experiment with the slider bars of either the Magenta or Cyan to lessen their tone. This can be found in the print driver and will help with the cast of witch ever color cast that you are having. Their might also be slider bars for the Photo Megenta and Cyan cartridges too. This might take some experimenting to get the prints the way that you want them.

Another way would be to go to B&W only cartridges. If you do this, then your printer will be dedicated to B&W prints.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3

BJ990

I have been using my i965 with Epson Photo paper for over a year now
I started when I tried out Epson Panaramic paper
After using a full pack to get two prints due to not being able to get the colour right I paid for the paper to be profiled corectly.

Once done I got much better mono output with the Epson paper and profiles than with my Canon papers and standard - which all had some kind of caste.

I have found that my printer does not use the black ink when printing mono but mixes MCY to get black.

hope this helps
Ian
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:39 PM   #4

I have used the Epson Heavyweight paper with pretty good results.

Paper type = matte photopaper
Dot grain 20%
Fine
Greyscale.

Hope this helps as perhaps a starting point. I have found that greyscale is the only way to stop the tinting, and it varies tremendously with the paper type.

Skip
skipper954 is offline   Reply With Quote